amandas going to costa rica

Help Support CattleToday:

brownmule

Reaction score
amanda and a group of vets students are going to meet up w students from Texas A&M and go to Costa Rica for 2 weeks, they are going to be helping set up dairy program for the locals and work and a low cost spay clinic.. shes taking a crash course in Spanish to learn some of the basics.. shes excited. ill be worried till she gets back inthe states but i guess thats a mom thing LOL i told her i bet she'll be the best donkey rider in her class LOL her first pony wasnt a pony it was a big ol jenny.. most ppl in her class have been around horse but dont have a clue about mules and donks.. any way shell be leaving next sunday.. come back in 2 weeks just in time from christmas.. any one every been there ... whats the 411 ? rose

Better tell her to watch her every step.. Costa Rica is a dangerous Country for white girls especially.Wait til she sees the Cops there with Automatic Rifles and Shotguns on the streets.It's a twisted Country, while having some beautiful sights, that's behind in law enforcement about 100 years.

Haven't been but heard good things about it - she will be fine. Beautiful place for tropical bird watching, rain forest ecosystems, etc. I would love to see it.

From Lonely Planet:

Mention Costa Rica and people think paradise. The country's Disney-like cast of creatures — ranging from howler monkeys to toucans — are prolific and relatively easy to spot. The waves are prime, the beauty is staggering and the sluggish pace seductive.

Costa Rica, despite being such a tiny nation, draws well over a million visitors every year - and you can see why. The incredibly varied topography means you can cruise a cloud forest one day, climb a volcano the next, and finish passed out on a hot sandy beach.

When To Go

The early months of the rainy season (May to July) are a wonderful time to travel to Costa Rica with some towns experiencing a mini-high season. During this time, rivers start to swell and dirt roads get muddy, making travel more challenging. Remote roads may not be accessible to public transport, so always ask locally before setting out. Bring your umbrella and a little patience.

For surfers, the Pacific coast sees increased swells and bigger, faster waves during the rainy season, peaking in the worst rainy months of September and October. The Caribbean side has better waves from November through May.

Wildlife enthusiasts may wish to plan their trip around high visibility seasons. The best time to spot the resplendent quetzal is between November and April. The peak season for leatherback turtles from April to May; for green turtles it's during August and September.

Fishing is good year-round, but you might choose your season if you have your heart set on a specific fish. Anglers head to the Caribbean coast between January and May in search of tarpon, while autumn is the season for snook. On the Pacific coast and in the Golfo Dulce, the best time to snag that sailfish is between November and May.

Full Name
Republic of Costa Rica

Capital City
San Jose

Area
51,100 sq km
19,730 sq miles

Population

Time Zone
GMT/UTC -6 ()

Daylight Saving Start
not in use

Daylight Saving End
not in use

Languages
Spanish (official)

English (other)

Religion

75% Roman Catholic, 14% Protestant, 11% other

Currency
Costa Rican Colon (¢)

Electricity
120V 60HzHz

Electric Plug Details
American-style plug with two parallel flat blades above a circular grounding pin
Japanese-style plug with two parallel flat blades
Country Dialing Code

Always wanted to go to Costa Rica. I spent a week in the Peruvian Rain forest. It was great. Amanda will have a wonderful adventure!

Alice

The summer is the worst time to go because it is like going to S. Texas. Timble weeds and very dry. At least that is what its like in the Guanacaste region(Pacific side). We've been a few times during the summer months and everybody there always says to go around Christmas because it is the wet season and the rainforests are lush. Roads and travel are TERRIBLE and the people are very poor. The up side is they depend much on tourists so they treat you right. Great food to be had (coming from a Cajun, I feel that I have a right to critique!). Not all of Costa Rica is lush tropical rainforests like the travel sites make it out to be. Terrain varies greatly. The beaches range from coarse sand to black volcanic soot/sand. About the worst sand beaches I have ever been to and I been to a bunch.

There is a little town in NW Guanacaste called Tamarindo that is basically an American town. It is slap full of American expats who look like they haven't cut their hair since the 70's. Dirty S. Calif type hippies. All smoking pot by the way. Crazy town.

Nice place to visit though. Like I said we have always gone to the NW corner and thats what I can relate to.

thanks for imput. i looked it up on the net it does look beautiful.. shell be in some small town but i think they well get to go sight seeing some too... she and another girl will staying w a host family. people from texas was there last yr and one of them is going this yr.. shes getting excited will be leaving this sunday. i cant wait to see the pics. but more cant wait till shes back inthe states LOL she was telling me about a trip out west that is going onthis summer AZ or Utah. i will feel better about it..LOL Rose

You have to use common sense anywhere you travel, including part of the U.S., but in general Costa Rica is a very safe place to travel. There are parts of San Jose I wouldn't go out at night alone in, but then there are quite a few places here you could say the same of.

Have you been to Washington D.C. lately, Crowder? It's not uncommon to see heavily armed law enforcement on the streets around the capital in our post 9-11 world.

badaxemoo":2ww8jf0k said:
You have to use common sense anywhere you travel, including part of the U.S., but in general Costa Rica is a very safe place to travel. There are parts of San Jose I wouldn't go out at night alone in, but then there are quite a few places here you could say the same of.

Have you been to Washington D.C. lately, Crowder? It's not uncommon to see heavily armed law enforcement on the streets around the capital in our post 9-11 world.
Aint a thing in Washington D.C. that would interest me except the Smithsonian. I hear there's some pretty ugly Interns up there too. :lol:

Latest posts