Am flying out pup, several ?'s

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
I am flying one of my Aussie pups to Alaska and was wondering if someone could give me tips. She has the required paper work, current shots and all that. Is there something I should do to make it easier/safer for her. I will be taking her to airport and putting her on the plane :( She will have a straight shot through.

Maybe an old towel or blanket you don't mind giving up. No water in there too much of a chance of it spilling and getting everything wet and cold.
My state called me after I got my dog from South Dakota flown up here asking about some paper work. Told them it was a dog not a cow or a horse so it was none of their business, but you might want to find out about it from Alaskas AG. Our was the Department of Livestock.
Make sure the kennel is large enough.
That's all I can think of for now.

I flew my cats from Alaska when I came back home to Mn. Talked to vet in Anchorage. He said that the drugs only make the owner feel better, not the animal. Said they often become sick, more confused and scared, and that the drugs impare their balance which can cause injury. My vet in Mn recommended against it....

I would not use the drugs.
A guy I know sells and ships Australian Sheperds. He has to ship them in a full size kennel, even though they are puppies. I asked him about it once and he said it was the rules. Whether airplane or some other he didn't say.

Oh no ~ I didn't plan on full size kennel. I'll have to check on that. Thanks for the heads up!

I luv herfrds":361nhmn3 said:
I would not use the drugs.
A guy I know sells and ships Australian Sheperds. He has to ship them in a full size kennel, even though they are puppies. I asked him about it once and he said it was the rules. Whether airplane or some other he didn't say.

Here's what NW is requiring ~ pup has to be able to stand w/o ears touching top of kennel and has to be able to turn around. If I can't find one like that in a store ~ they will be happy to sell me one where I drop pup off (yeah, right!). Needs to have food and water container attached to the side of kennel ~ can't throw a couple of bowls in there ~ that makes sense I guess.

angie":3eavp6a7 said:
I am flying one of my Aussie pups to Alaska and was wondering if someone could give me tips. She has the required paper work, current shots and all that. Is there something I should do to make it easier/safer for her. I will be taking her to airport and putting her on the plane :( She will have a straight shot through.

There are also temperature requirements, like the flight outside temp can't be above a certain temp. One of my family members raises dogs, and ships them all over, and I know she has has to reschedule flights because of temp. problems.

Gail

She is scheduled to leave on Wednesday ~ will keep my fingers crossed for good weather!