Always Something

Help Support CattleToday:

That one's lucky. We put in a couple of fences after losing one in the creek a few years ago. No cow within a month of calving has any creek access. Good find.

Last year I had one that looked ready to calf. An hour or so later I went out to check her. She had crossed the river and was in the 15 feet between the river and the fence. I drove the quad around to the other side. There was one foot out. Great the river is way too deep and swift for a calf to cross. So I opened up a gate to let her into the field on that side of the river. The cow stuck her head out into the field, took two bites of grass, and turned and waded back to the other side with the herd. Ten minutes later she had a calf over on the correct side of the river. The water at that crossing was well up on her belly.

If you have cows or calves at some point they are going to do something totally unexpected. One year I had a cow that got piece of that heavy wire cow panel stuck in her lower eyelid. Had to take the bolt cutters to it to get it out.

KIMG0807.JPG

KIMG0809.JPG

Another year we had a cow get a piece of twine string wrapped around her tongue; she nearly jerked it off. Took her to the vet and they cut a good inch off her tongue. She was not a happy camper after that, she wanted to see somebody.

Our first calving this year.
December was total mud. Cows that were getting close were up front. They were all fighting for best spots up by the feeders, instead of walking out a ways and getting to grass areas to lay down. Cow calved 12 days early, during the night, by the feeder with her butt out in the slop mud. Found the blazed face red embryo heifer calf with it's head UNDER the mud - suffocated.

Our first calving this year.
December was total mud. Cows that were getting close were up front. They were all fighting for best spots up by the feeders, instead of walking out a ways and getting to grass areas to lay down. Cow calved 12 days early, during the night, by the feeder with her butt out in the slop mud. Found the blazed face red embryo heifer calf with it's head UNDER the mud - suffocated.
That is the kind of thing that is really discouraging. Makes you scream at the sky.

We never could figure out why a cow would go to a windy hill top to calve when there was plenty of nice places to calve. A sharp lady that raised bulls said when they calve, they get a fever so they search a cool (usually windy and cold enough a calf could chill down at night) place to calve. She also said cows aren't any smarter than chickens when it comes to taking care of their young.

A couple years ago I had a calf get his front legs stuck in some junk, it snowed that day, and we didn't catch it soon enough. He ended up being crippled; he could not walk to well. That cow did a good job taking care of him, as he could not move to well.