Always Something

Help Support CattleToday:

Talked with the vet this afternoon , said he has seen this once in forty years.
He speculated that both cows had a small vaginal tear that kept them pushing.
didn't think about a wound, but figured it had to be some kind of irritant. interesting case, glad it is a rare occurance. sorry for the loss.

i had one calve up on a pond bank back 25 years ago. Cow stood up baby slid righ out and head first down the bank into the dang pond. I ran over to try to get to the calf hit the afterbirth both feet flew out from under me I ended up in the pond right next to the calf. Got the calf out and back to her momma. I was sore for a week after that fiasc.
Shame someone wasn't videoing that one ! You could have won funniest home video I bet !

The thing that shocked me the most about this ordeal is no LA-200 or Penicillin to be found. Had about three doses of LA -200 in the refrigerator.
I got a couple syringes of steroids from the Vet.
Our supply chain is broken.

The thing that shocked me the most about this ordeal is no LA-200 or Penicillin to be found. Had about three doses of LA -200 in the refrigerator.
I got a couple syringes of steroids from the Vet.
Our supply chain is broken.
penicillin has been hard for me to find for years. haven't bought LA200 in a while, is is supply chain problem or the "antibiotic issue?" I thought I read somewhere it was going to have to be prescription for just about everything pretty soon???

penicillin has been hard for me to find for years. haven't bought LA200 in a while, is is supply chain problem or the "antibiotic issue?" I thought I read somewhere it was going to have to be prescription for just about everything pretty soon???
The vet doesn't even have any , I ask when I got the steroids.

It's a supply chain issue that started well before Covid. My understanding is that there's only one major manufacturer. After a couple of incidents that resulted in shutdowns and raw material shortages, they haven't been able to catch up with demand. I assume there's just not enough money in penicillin for a competitor to bother opening a new plant.

Expect sales to drop in 2023 and supply to catch up.

You are correct. Soon it will take a vet to get LA 200

It shouldn't affect me. I am lucky to have a vet that gives us a good discount if we place our order through them. Cheaper than buying supplies thru Valley Vet or others. Prescription, dewormers, or just OTC or supplies. They drop ship and I get next day - no shipping cost. I generally place 2 orders a year. Has to be over $300/order. LOL - that's no problem!!

I gave her to a lady from church. She has milk goats and sells milk and cheeses.
When we get an orphan we call her, she raises the calves on goat milk. The lady grows off some fine bottle calves. She freezes her excess goat milk all year long for calves she picks up.
Good way to raise an orphan. Got a cousin that used to raise calves off dairy goats as a sideline. He'd tie her up and feed her and let the calves on her while she ate, sometimes two at a time. Said the calve would lift her hind end plumb off the ground.

I got a bottle at our livestock supply store about a month ago. There must have been 50 bottles on the shelf. Big, little, generic, and name brand, which ever a person wanted.