Aluminum livestock trailer for replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

scvfd_7241

Reaction score
I have an aluminum trailer with a wood floor that needs to be replaced. I was looking for suggestions/ ideas on what to use to replace the floor with. Wheat type of wood, treated or untreated. Or, would it be feasible to use metal, if so what diamond plate, thickness, etc. Thanks for the opinions.

I have a aluminum truck bed. The floor is like planks about a inch thick inside them is little upright pieces about a inch a part. I'm sure that would be strong enough but can't imagine what it would cost. Some new flatbeds offer what is called black wood witch rubber inlayed in treated planks that would be nice. I would probally just put new treated 2x6 in it.

White oak. That being said I replaced mine a couple years back with old growth Douglas Fir and Pine because I'd just salvaged n old corn rib.

I have an older model Gooseneck brand trailer.....has the recycled rubber......probably old tires without any belting. Stuff wears very well, if any, cleans up great.!! I spray WD-40 at the sides where it touches the metal rails when I park it inside.
Good as new almost in 18 years. Call them up to get there info maybe on the material and availability.

around here Fir is plentiful and lasts well, creosoted would make it last forever.. I heard seasoned cottonwood is really tough, but holds water so might not be good for a livestock trailer

So exactly what do they use under a wood floor on an aluminum trailer? I would hope it is aluminum runners.

Buy some cleated life time rubber planks and be done with it. Make sure the runners underneath are good.

Nesikep":2afjolvj said:
around here Fir is plentiful and lasts well, creosoted would make it last forever.. I heard seasoned cottonwood is really tough, but holds water so might not be good for a livestock trailer

The old timers tell me the secret to cottonwood, particularly in barn floors, is to keep it wet.

Silver":2a1hbppc said:
Nesikep":2a1hbppc said:

The old timers tell me the secret to cottonwood, particularly in barn floors, is to keep it wet.
good luck with that in the summertime here!

Nesikep":combcily said:
Silver":combcily said:
Nesikep":combcily said:

good luck with that in the summertime here!

Ya, well the old timers would keep using horses in the barn, and therefore the stall floor would tend to stay wet. Those days are gone I believe.

I have a few BIG cottonwoods I fell last year I've been thinking about getting milled for a flatdeck trailer flooring.. apparently Dozer grousers, etc don't hurt it