Alternative ideas sought

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Been calving heifers lately and all has gone well till today. #62 walked off by herself and paced the fence for several hours. I was overseeding clover so I could watch her with no trouble. She began laying down and I could watch her contractions. I was a little concerned about her cause he vulva looked rather small to me and she never really jelled up. Anyhow, I would get close to her every hour or so to see the progress. Front hooves peeking out. After two or three hours, she had made no progress and was spending more time on the ground pushing but getting nowhere. Anyhow, I stepped in to see what was going on and judging from the calves hooves it was obvious she was going to have some trouble due to its size. I grabbed my chains and tried getting one around the hock but it was so tight I could get anything more than two fingers in. I finally got one chain barely above the hoof and gradually worked the calf's left leg out a bit thus making room for me to get a chain on the right one. Once I got the chains on I kept even pressure on the calf and and only pulled when she contracted would continue to hold the progress made. After about 15 minutes or so I finally saw the nose. After awhile I got the nose out and it began to breath through its mouth and nose but its head and eyes were still well inside the heifer. With the calf's breathing, my concern grew. So with each contraction I pulled a little harder but could not seem to get the forehead out of the vulva. As I held the progress made, I watched in dismay as the calf's tongue began to turn purple and the heifers efforts seemed in vain. As the calf's color turned my concern grew. I just could not get the calf past this point and it seemed there was a tight band around the vulva that held the progress. For want of anything other ideas and with the calf turning more purple I pulled my pocket knife out and knicked the band that seemed to be holding up the progress. Incision was about a quarter and inch. Anyhow, on the next few contractions I pulled as hard as I could and finally got the head out and the rest followed with ease. I imagine the calf was close to 90 lbs but I cleaned his face up and cleaned his lungs as best I could then checked on the mother. I think she was utterly exhausted and might have been in shock. She laid there for a good 15 minutes then I made her get off her side and sit up some. Finally the calf started moving a bit and the motherly instinct kicked in and she took over cleaning the calf and last I saw he was getting his colustrum.

How bad did I screw up by knicking the vulva like this? Didn't want to do it but saw no other choice. Suggestions appreciated.

What you described sounds like a persistant hymen, I don't think you had much of a choice in that situation.

I am the last to give antibiotics as precautionary measures, but I think in this case a short acting oxytetracycline or pennicilin followed by a long acting one the next day would do more good than bad. Has the cow cleaned yet?

Thanks. That makes me feel better as I was at wits end. I try my best not to interfere with them but I know felt this situation was unique. I'll check on her today and see if I can't get some antiobitics in her.

Our vet did the same thing with a heifer a copule of years ago. He barely touched her with the knife and she split enoug hthat the calf came right out. He gave her some antibiotics and left her be. She bred back ever since and calved with no problems. 110 pound big headed big shouldered calf out of a 1000 heifer is asking a bit much. When the poepl used thr bull AI, his calving ease numbers were very good and his BW was low. He was an unproven sire and thats what they do is prove young sires for Genex. By the time the calf was born his CE was in the minus range and his BW was over 5 (breed avg is aorund 1.5)

You can see you done the right thing Jo the heifer is up grazing and the calf is alive and sucking. End result was what you were looking. Just not exactly the ease way.

dun":lw9537fw said:
She bred back ever since and calved with no problems. 110 pound big headed big shouldered calf out of a 1000 heifer is asking a bit much. When the poepl used thr bull AI, his calving ease numbers were very good and his BW was low. He was an unproven sire and thats what they do is prove young sires for Genex. By the time the calf was born his CE was in the minus range and his BW was over 5 (breed avg is aorund 1.5)

This was a new bull but he is supposed to drop small calves. So far, I've been real pleased with the calves he has sired off the heifers cause there are around 50 pounds and haven't had any trouble at all. I think this is one of those things that falls outside the average. On a side note, I'm also pleased with his stamina cause I had four to hit the ground yesterday.

grannysoo":3f9h2qee said:
It's not an uncommon practice.... happens in hospitals all the time.

You did good.

I was thinking the same thing. You did what I would have done if faced with the same situation. As RedBull said, the end result was what you were looking for, live calf, motherly heifer.

Katherine

I saw may wife get one of those naturally.

I thought it was called an episomity as a medical technique.

She required stitches.

Maybe I read it wrong.

Good job if you saved them both.

Just curious did you cut the top, bottom or side? Good job. As I read I just knew it was going to have a bad ending -- glad it didnt.

denoginnizer":26yx8ely said:
Just curious did you cut the top, bottom or side? Good job. As I read I just knew it was going to have a bad ending -- glad it didnt.

I knicked the top. I figured this was the most natural place for the crease to heal back and this also seemed to be the spot that was holding the head back. My knife is pretty sharp too so all I did was touch it and it actually seemed like it opened in front of the blade - if that makes sense. I doubt the cut was any more than an 1/8 - 1/4 inch but it really seemed to make a difference in getting the forehead out.

I checked on them yesterday and both are doing fine. She herself has cleaned and I could see no visisble damage to her vulva. She has the calf spotless and she is toting a sac of groceries that should make the calf grow well.

good post. good info. I'll do better myself next time. had one just like that this spring. just pulled harder (not the best move). momma and baby made it (miraculously). woulda been easier what you did.

Jogeephus":2okhsbl7 said:
I knicked the top. I figured this was the most natural place for the crease to heal back and this also seemed to be the spot that was holding the head back. My knife is pretty sharp too so all I did was touch it and it actually seemed like it opened in front of the blade - if that makes sense. I doubt the cut was any more than an 1/8 - 1/4 inch but it really seemed to make a difference in getting the forehead out.
You did do the right thing, and I have seen what you talk about the skin opens in front of the blade. If not handled as you did ~ the skin wil potentially (probably) tear on its own, it can only stretch so far. If that happens it is difficult to repair if necessary as there is a mess of tears ~ they are jagged and different lenghts. My vet cut my mare to allow her to get the foal out. He was not able to stich her that night as the skin swelling was such that it would pull the stiches through the skin. He came back 3 days later and took a scalpel and sliced a very thin slice (transparent) down opposite sides of the incision. The swelling had gone done enough that tearing out stiches was no longer a worry, and the new cut allowed the opposing sides to bond when stiched.

A controled cut is always better and easier to manage than an uncontrolled tear. And you are right, it doesn;t take much.

Latest posts