Alpha 7 for blackleg

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
My local feed store carries this product. I'm trying to find out what to use for blackleg vacs. Anyone use this product?

I have used it for years because it does not require a booster. I do feel it is a little worse for causing a knot at the injection site though.

Works very well have used at calves from weaning down to a day old since it requires no booster. X2 on the injection site knots though.

jallen":3bd2ao5m said:
My local feed store carries this product. I'm trying to find out what to use for blackleg vacs. Anyone use this product?

If they carry the Alpha-7/MB-1 you get the pinkeye vaccine also.

fitz

JW IN VA":2b4b91u8 said:
kenny thomas":2b4b91u8 said:
I have used it for years because it does not require a booster.
+1

I too have used it quite a few times. And like the others, I have also found that there are always lumps. But the lumps do go away in time. And yes, I do use a new needle.

Katherine

ya i have used it but mine has the pinkeye in it but ya i think it leaves a little knot sometimes but usually goes away in time

To sum up: IMO, Alpha 7 offers the best clostridial protection available bar none, and does it in one shot.

I have used Alpha 7 and experenced the knot thing too. :roll:

My advice, worth what you paid for it is, if you want to work calves once and be done with it, use Alpha 7.

If you plan to work calves again in 4-6 months anyway, use a cheaper water based 7 way and give a booster shot later.

IMO, Vision 7 is a good second choice. Also available with pinkeye protection. Vision 7 offers no knots and only a 2cc dose is required. But Vision 7 should be boosted.

Vision 7 usuallly costs a bit more than common 5cc dose 7 ways, but not as much as Alpha 7.

Latest posts