ALOT Fall Bull Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Just curious if I've seen you before. We're not real active with ALOT but have brought a few bulls to the sale in the past.

Avalon":2sb60n9c said:
Just curious if I've seen you before. We're not real active with ALOT but have brought a few bulls to the sale in the past.

It's possible. We've sold more females there than bulls at ALOT, but try to come to the bull sales, too. It's about about six hours to Mt. Pleasant pulling a trailer for us though. We've either sold our bulls at home or at the OBI sale at Stillwater, OK the last few years. The Red River Angus group has been having some Angus bull sales, too, and they're quite a bit closer for us. And gasoline prices have put a brake on our sale visits, too, though I paid $1.68 for regular gasoline Friday.

Thanks for posting about this sale. I had asked about the Lone Star sale in December; however, Mt. Pleasant is much closer. I downloaded the numbers but how will these bulls stack up as far as phenotype since there are no pictures available? Would like to stay away from the hatchet-shaped angus. Also, how are most of these bulls grown out (mostly feed or mostly forage based rations)? I know these may be hard questions to answer since there are multiple breeders in the sale, unless they all adhere to a common breeding and development system.

kb5iod":2iy23hxl said:
Thanks for posting about this sale. I had asked about the Lone Star sale in December; however, Mt. Pleasant is much closer. I downloaded the numbers but how will these bulls stack up as far as phenotype since there are no pictures available? Would like to stay away from the hatchet-shaped angus. Also, how are most of these bulls grown out (mostly feed or mostly forage based rations)? I know these may be hard questions to answer since there are multiple breeders in the sale, unless they all adhere to a common breeding and development system.

You're welcome. Since it's a consignment sale, bulls often vary in development and condition. There are phone numbers for consignors in the catalog that I linked to. If you see a bull in the catalog that you're interested in, call and talk to the breeder. Some of them might be able to email a photo and give you current weights, etc. ALOT has encouraged their members to put their bulls on test to gather growth data and have a more uniform group to offer for sale, but I don't know if any of these bulls have been tested.