almost time to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy

Reaction score
I am so excited about the spring and actually owning some cattle again. I plan on buying 10 springing Herefords this spring, calving them out and selling them as pairs just after calving. I am going to keep them corraled for that time. I think prices for herefords this spring will be about $450/head for the smaller framed type I am looking for. I think I will be able to sell these pairs for $800-$900. What would you pay for a decent older cow with a >1 month old calf by its side?

When you find those $450 bred cows that are still alive and able to have a calf let me know.

You can get em around here right now.
But you got to buy em now and if you dont have hay well its 50-75 a roll.
And that eats your profits really quick. :banana:

Heck alot of good cattle are going cheap right now, but you have to have had a plan? :dunce:

Good luck

you could buy about a 400 lb heifer for around 550 here now but those prices will rise quickly , thats a calve ! A lot of ten will be more difficult to get , decent cows will go for 8-900 in distress sales or older stock and good quality will go for about 1200.Cow calf pairs are from 900 for old cows up to 1500 . Prices are down here now but will pop up again come spring.

Bred hiefers for $450, not sure i would want to see them, Bred corrente are selling for that much!!
at least did at the last auction i went to,
Anything bred with any frame to them were going for no less than $600 and something that low was a older broken mouth cow!

Well, I'm in NY and I don't know of any prices like that. What makes you think that's the going rate? If you are able to purchase quality bred females (springers!) of any kind for that price, guess you aught to be able to make money on them. Good luck.
Most little steers are worth more than that.

Lol now a guy can dream cant he??? :compute:

I never saw were he said heifer or quality.
Just older cow and the plan to keep em corraled is a good one.
They might just eat you, as we all know if they "look" good they are there for a reason. :cowboy:

Finding that $450 cow will be a lot easier than selling the same cow for $850 a few months latter with a 30 day calf by her side even if it is spring.

Light bred short mouth to broke mouth okie cows can be bought for $400 to $500 at a good mnay East Texas and Western Louisiana sales. They will bring $600 to $700 springing heavy (7 - 8 Months bred).
I don't see the pairs bringing much more than that.

I went to the local sale barn weds. I seen good hereford heifers bred 5 months sell for $400.00. By good, I mean they appeared healthy and in good condition and weighed about 1000 lbs. A good young cow bred 2 months brought less than $ 450,00, she weighed 1300 lbs. These cattle were preg checked by the vet at the sale. All you need is a few bucks and feed.

gerardplauche":1smkym27 said:
Those aren't bad prices. Seems no one buys high and sells low like myself... :???:

Not all of us are as truthful as you. I do my gambling at the sale ring. Not at the table. There is very little difference. Always talk about the money that is made. Never remember the bones lying in the ditch or the lesser you got when they went back to the sale.

hillrancher":3c29r40n said:
gerardplauche":3c29r40n said:
Those aren't bad prices. Seems no one buys high and sells low like myself... :???:

Not all of us are as truthful as you. I do my gambling at the sale ring. Not at the table. There is very little difference. Always talk about the money that is made. Never remember the bones lying in the ditch or the lesser you got when they went back to the sale.

I sure remember all my dead auction animals! In this region I will be able to get the price I want.
Jeanne SV- I don't think we look at or for the same quality cattle. I am sure there will be alot of long bred cows at the auction this spring that go cheap. One may die or one may prolapse, but over all it is better then paying $1000 from some breeder. How long to maKE THAT $1000 back? My cows will be worth 1 1/2 what I payed for them as soon as I get them home, maybe I'm a jockey! I prefer backgrounder.
redfornow= What do you know? I have some major experience!

auctionboy":34m68h3w said:
hillrancher":34m68h3w said:
gerardplauche":34m68h3w said:

I sure remember all my dead auction animals! In this region I will be able to get the price I want.
Jeanne SV- I don't think we look at or for the same quality cattle. I am sure there will be alot of long bred cows at the auction this spring that go cheap. One may die or one may prolapse, but over all it is better then paying $1000 from some breeder. How long to maKE THAT $1000 back? My cows will be worth 1 1/2 what I payed for them as soon as I get them home, maybe I'm a jockey! I prefer backgrounder.
redfornow= What do you know? I have some major experience

Dont know a thing.
You know it all. Good luck with that. :dunce:

Latest posts