All fence and fence builders are NOT created equal.

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm Fence Solutions

Reaction score
This is a job I didn't get in late 2008.....when we really needed the work. It's close to home, but evidently we were just a few cents higher per foot on the bid. Make sure that you are comparing similar products when building or having fence built. I suppose that no brace would ever fail if there is never any tension on the wire. :bang: Class I low carbon is no match in this part of the world for Class III high tensile. It was interesting watching that crew......Horse drawn post driver.

Probably a good thing there was no tension on the wire...what's holding the twist stick in place?

I'm not terribly knowledgeable on woven wire, but isn't it supposed to be at least tight enough to pull the circled indents straight?

Lots of land getting fragmented between here in Austin 5 to 50 acre ranchettes the call em.
We get some of it. But being from town they hire fence builder's from town. They go online instead of just walking in any store and asking for fence.
Anyway people always saying all that building south of town gotta be good for business. I tells em no , it'll be good for business in about 3 years when that shyt starts falling down.

I assure my customers they are going to get good work by putting it where my mouth is.
I pay for everything with my money. Not a dime due till it's done...if I like you I'll let you pay it out.

It is shocking what otherwise knowledgeable farmers consider good fencing techniques and practices.

I try to keep up with what you and Fence post. I think my fencing guy is pretty good.

When you get down here, I can show you the fence Kevin just put in under the CAIP program. The guy they employ to inspect it was an eighty year old local farm. He rated the job as excellent. Of course, he is familiar with Burton Fencing.

Depends on the limitations being faced. In the MO Ozarks, any posts that are withing 2 feet of the centerline is considered a straight fence.

Bright Raven":ie8udyb9 said:
It is shocking what otherwise knowledgeable farmers consider good fencing techniques and practices.

I try to keep up with what you and Fence post. I think my fencing guy is pretty good.

When you get down here, I can show you the fence Kevin just put in under the CAIP program. The guy they employ to inspect it was an eighty year old local farm. He rated the job as excellent. Of course, he is familiar with Burton Fencing.

I've done my homework on Kevin. His work is top notch.

dun":1286f16y said:
Depends on the limitations being faced. In the MO Ozarks, any posts that are withing 2 feet of the centerline is considered a straight fence.

:lol: I always say no such thing as purty straight. It's either straight or it's crooked.
My crew hates that saying.

greybeard":xyu1e5qh said:
Probably a good thing there was no tension on the wire...what's holding the twist stick in place?

I'm not terribly knowledgeable on woven wire, but isn't it supposed to be at least tight enough to pull the circled indents straight?

It's pretty standard to pull all of the tension curve out of low carbon, and leave about half of it in high tensile. The real concern in that picture is the rust on an 8 year old fence.

callmefence":16x3go45 said:
:lol: I always say no such thing as purty straight. It's either straight or it's crooked.

I have people who say, "I'll try...." I tell them there is no try, either do or do not!

i dont' see how people can't get a post straight.

i've had dozens of people help me pound posts and only 1 of them has had the ability to put them in straight.

i can do it all by myself better then with someone else usually.

ddd75":2l6m80wh said:

i've had dozens of people help me pound posts and only 1 of them has had the ability to put them in straight.

Getting them in straight isn;t the issue, it's finding enough dirt that is soft enough (i.e. not rock) that you can get it in the ground at all

dun":1q5e7z0l said:
ddd75":1q5e7z0l said:

Getting them in straight isn;t the issue, it's finding enough dirt that is soft enough (i.e. not rock) that you can get it in the ground at all

For the most part I'd rather be in rock than dirt.

D2Cat":3eug0fyb said:
callmefence":3eug0fyb said:

I have people who say, "I'll try...." I tell them there is no try, either do or do not!
Now, we know who you really are..

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/do.gif

callmefence":32662oaf said:
dun":32662oaf said:
ddd75":32662oaf said:

Explain. Why would you rather be in rock? Plus, if you get into shallow bedrock in my area, they have to go from driving to drilling. And that slows down progress.

dun":19jt7fwb said:
ddd75":19jt7fwb said:

That's life around here too in all the perimeter fences... lots of big rock below.. do what you want, that post is either going to be in crooked, or you're moving it in one direction or another to try and find a place with less rock... The 3rd option is to shatter the post.
Dividing fences are usually a little better, there's a little more dirt in the fields.

Bright Raven":9uwenrnt said:
callmefence":9uwenrnt said:
dun":9uwenrnt said:

Explain. Why would you rather be in rock? Plus, if you get into shallow bedrock in my area, they have to go from driving to drilling. And that slows down progress.

Well yes sir.
Most rock I can drive pipe through. If not I can drill it quick enough. Apost drove 3 foot into rock will hold till the end of time. In our black clay you better be driving em 5 to 6 foot..
Edit to add...everyone is scared of rocks I can charge more

callmefence":3s1iruq4 said:
Bright Raven":3s1iruq4 said:
callmefence":3s1iruq4 said:

Well yes sir.
Most rock I can drive pipe through. If not I can drill it quick enough. Apost drove 3 foot into rock will hold till the end of time. In our black clay you better be driving em 5 to 6 foot..

Thanks. Only a few times have they gotten into "shelf rock" on my farm. They drill. But goes faster when they can drive.

Bright Raven":37j6d5c0 said:
callmefence":37j6d5c0 said:
Bright Raven":37j6d5c0 said:

Well yes sir.

Thanks. Only a few times have they gotten into "shelf rock" on my farm. They drill. But goes faster when they can drive.
Till you drop half way off the ridge the shelf rock is only about 1-3 inches below the surface. And that doesn;t address the places where IT IS the surface.

dun":3bsa4tzd said:
Bright Raven":3bsa4tzd said:
callmefence":3bsa4tzd said:
Well yes sir.

Till you drop half way off the ridge the shelf rock is only about 1-3 inches below the surface. And that doesn;t address the places where IT IS the surface.

Bed rock right on top of the ground is normal here. Farm Fence has seen it. I would much rather have exposed bedrock than 2 feet of dirt then rock. That's as rough as it gets

Fence's place was paved by the Good Lord. Only place there's any dirt is where he feeds cows. I guess everybody needs a mud hole. Lol

Latest posts