AKAUSHI

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P":xfv8w4gw said:
As I understand it, the Akaushi had infusions of Devon and Simmental genetics in their past... and probably have better growth and muscling than some of the other Wagyu-type cattle, but still marble far better than most British or Continental breeds.
The lower melting point of the fat, evidently conferred by the 'A' gene - they may be homozygous (AA) or heterozygous (VA) - is part of the desirability of the Akaushi/Wagyu cattle, beyond just the high marbling trait. If I were crossbreeding with A or W, I would seek out sires that were AA genotype, in addition to scoring well for marbling and tepictures. Most semen distributors are supplying genomic test results for A/V status, as well as marbling/tenderness.
The photos I've seen of Akaushi bulls depict them to be 'beefier' animals than the typical black Wagyu bulls I've seen pictured.

Now you are making my head hurt.... Isn't Aa a genetic mutation from Av?

If link works, this pic is of the largest BW Ak/Angus crossed steer. He was well over 100# at birth, but came unassisted. He is a yearling. Weighed him a day or so before picture was taken and he came in at 930#. He's been on good grass since weaning and is currently grazing some sudangrass with his herdmates and wet 2's.

This steer is one of the twins in original few postings from last year. He is the #8 twin. He weighed 670.

This is the other twin, #9 from original post. He weighed 730. Not too bad for a couple of twins. Mother to these two also bred back AI while nursing these two.

More updates as this group progresses. There are 6 more, but weren't in good position for photo op, or were at another farm with replacement females. (heifer mates) I plan to breed 2 of the Ak crossed females from some really good cows to see how the F1 females do. I'm a little nervous about the milk, but if things don't work out, they'll do alright in the freezer.

we direct market, so they are earmarked for the freezer. we sell about 18-20 head per year, one steak at a time. I am not sure if I will be changing prices any until I see what the meat looks like and put a pencil to our cost to finish these F1's. I'd be willing to bet the F1's will be cheaper to finish than F2, but if I can get what I want (quality wise) with the F1's, that's as far as I plan to go with it.

Our family of 5 can devour a beef in about 6-8 months...that's with 3 kids, 7 and under. We are a bit partial to beef. We have raised a few hogs and usually can handle 2 per year as long as we do not run out of beef. :lol:

Here are a couple of updated photos (if the links work?)

This is the steer that was well over 100# at birth

This is one of the twins...I think it was #9, but can't tell from pic. Pictures aren't the best, but nor were the conditions that day.

7-750, few bigger steers, few smaller heifers. Don't want them too much bigger for my customers. Much over 725-750 and I start getting orders for half instead of whole. Families just aren't as big as they once were...beef isn't as cheap as it once was either. ;)

They have very nice Marbled beef and look good..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Mwp5Rcmic

Latest posts