air impacts

Help Support CattleToday:

It's been too many years since my auto mechanic days, but back in the late 80's and early 90's we used 90 lbs, but the air guns were all adjustable back then so I'm sure they're much more advance now. Also we always backed it up with a torque wrench.

Take a look at the Milwaukee M18fuel cordless impact. 1100 ft-lbs break away and 700 ft-lbs tightening. Very handy on a farm.

Get a Snap on or other hi line cordless (battery). If your working in a shop get a ingersol rand or other hi line gun.

I am sure you can google the lbs needed for lug nuts. I use an electric and torque wrench. Too bad you just posted this, I sold a nice Snap On Air impact 2 days ago.

Are the battery powered impacts as strong as the pneumatic guns? From the previous posts I'm guessing they are. Definitely be more convenient in a mobile situation if they are comparable.

JMJ Farms":tr3n69gg said:
Are the battery powered impacts as strong as the pneumatic guns? From the previous posts I'm guessing they are. Definitely be more convenient in a mobile situation if they are comparable.
The ones i've used dont seem to be as strong but still a GREAT TOOL very convenient for out in the field repairs

hwillso":24twcgj7 said:
Take a look at the Milwaukee M18fuel cordless impact. 1100 ft-lbs break away and 700 ft-lbs tightening. Very handy on a farm.

700 ft lbs is a heck of a lot. We use big ones with 1" chucks at work and I can still go behind them with a wrench and get it tighter.

JMJ Farms":wnt805c9 said:
I have one of the Milwaukee M18fuel cordless impacts and it out does a Snap air gun I have.

ez14":t73hop7i said:
JMJ Farms":t73hop7i said:
The ones i've used dont seem to be as strong but still a GREAT TOOL very convenient for out in the field repairs

^^^^^
this..air/electric...you still need to finish with torque wrench on tightening down. My personal experience is that air is stronger than battery/electric in a shop setting.

Air is definitely stronger than any electric impact. I have quite a few air impacts and several electrics as well. This may sound strange and it's kinda hard to put into words but you have to get a feel for your impact. I know how long I need to hammer on a bolt with each gun in order for it to be tight. If my somebody else uses one of mine it's likely they will either break a bolt or not get it near tight enough. With any of my electrics be it a 1/2 inch or a 3/8 I always double check it with a wrench if it's something that needs to be torqued.

hwillso":2091cfvc said:

Wow, I'm I out of my league here. What in world type of farm equipment do you need 700 ft lbs tightening of lugs for?

that's 700 ft lb in a perfect world... real life it's probably under 150 if there's any sort of springyness anywhere along the line.

For air impacts, I like my IR guns.. the Chicago pneumatic ones are as strong, but I don't like the feel of them as much, takes 2 hands to reverse, etc... just little things.
I've got a IR quiet gun, an pretty darned old IR run-of-the-mill, an IR Thundergun (sounds awesome!), and a CP.

There's no such thing as too much torque, you can always rattle a little less, and you should still torque it down with a torque wrench, but for removing stuck stuff.. the more the merrier.. 3/8" air line and 3/8" fittings, 150psi compressor pressure, you'll get it off.

Battery guns, my buddy has a whole assortment of them, and for small tools, they are impressive without a doubt, but don't believe the ratings on them if they claim 700ft/lbs. I have a Makita 18V and it'll break 3/8th bolts, and perhaps the new versions will break a 1/2" bolt, but that's still only up around 100-150 ft lb.. I know what it's like to torque a wheel nut to 150 ft lb and I wouldn't trust a battery impact to even get close..

The cordless impacts are about as handy as any tool I have on the farm. Great for field repairs and even around the shop not having to drag hoses and cords around. Plus it has a light on it. I have the 20v dewalt stuff, larger one does 700/1200ft lbs, and I have a small 1/4" driver for screws and small jobs.

vid comparing a few https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUNXe1ha6aA

And air vs battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfoTsbfPZpc

picked mine up for 250 bux, already had batteries.

I frequently use my Milwaukee cordless impact and a large nut (2 5/8) that is torqued to 350 ft. lb. and it never seems to strain to take them off. For continuous use I would probably prefer air but for something just like lug nuts I will take my battery. I never dreamed I would ever feel that way after turning wrenches for a living over 30 years. The best air gun I ever had was an IR, guy that worked with me used mine and like it so much he bought one. Mine sounded different and would take stuff loose that his would not but never did find a reason for that. To me IR's seem to hit harder.

Snap on makes good ones but for the money HF has a heavy duty one for about 100 bucks that will do 99% of what you need. I've had one 3 yrs and it still works flawlessly and it is wallered in the dirt and grass all the time.

Thanks all.
I have several cordless impacts that work fine for a lot of stuff. What I'm looking at is an air gun mostly for removing lug nuts. I don't do all that much auto work...only what's necessary, so not looking to spend a lot. Mostly wondering what ft/lbs rating I need to buy that will do the job needed and not frustrate the hell out of me when I'm in the middle of a task.

M5, which one do you have from HF?

I have had several and for the money these are hard to beat. Read the reviews.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 68424.html

image_11115.jpg

I had a hitachi electric. Thing beats itself apart within a dozen nuts. Screws popping out, brush holders coming apart and flying across the shop.

Latest posts