AI'd my first cow today.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobg

Reaction score
I started taking an AI class at Washington State University in August. I'm able to take it with a fee waiver since I work for the USDA on campus and they consider us staff. I only have a few longhorn cows and no room for a bull. The All West Select Sires rep came through last week so I bought 5 straw of an Angus bull. I wasn't really going to try AI'ing them this soon, but thought what the heck. And the one that came into heat was the wild one of the bunch able to jump a 6 foot panel. I finally got her in the chute and everyone came out to watch. It took about 10 minutes to get the gun passed and deposit semen in both horns. Now all I have to do is wait for 24 days to see if she comes into heat.

Bobg

Most A.I. protocalls that I am aware of call for placing the semen in front of the cervix and not into each uterine horn. I do know a man that has great success at A.I. that deposits the semen in both horns. 21 days is the accepted interval for the cows usual cycle. Most on my farm come in heat every 19 or 20 with some cycling every 16. Watch her after 2 weeks.

Ollie,

The professor that is teaching the class told us that most AI Techs will put it just in past the cervix. He said that they have done some work on the correct placing of semen and he preferred putting some in each horn, but he also said either is acceptable. The cow cycles at that interval all the time. For the last year I've kept track of her and it hasn't changed. Now that I say that she'll probably cycle at 18 days.

Cowboy13,

Ya, she didn't look like that a couple of times. In class one day I had my coveralls on and a cow **** all over the front of me. Soaked right through into my pants, didn't have a change of clothes and nobody hung around the office for long.

Bobg

bob
Congrats. We too only have a few cows and no room for a bull. We AI everything and our AI course instructor told us to deposit semen through cevix into uterus. Of the six we did in May, 4 took. I AI'ed another 2 and they have not yet come into heat yet, been about 6 wks. I did another last night. All I have to do now is wait and see. Our first AI product hit the ground this past Jan. He was a beauty. We were quite excited. Good Luck.

Just wondering if you get a bull more often or if it is about 50-50 when you A-I?Going to A-I some in Nov. first time for us to try something like this.JHH

JHH":mwrtkyuj said:
Just wondering if you get a bull more often or if it is about 50-50 when you A-I?Going to A-I some in Nov. first time for us to try something like this.JHH

With proper heat detection and proper semen deposition, you'll get as many with AI as you will with a bull.

dun

dun":356ytj77 said:
JHH":356ytj77 said:

With proper heat detection and proper semen deposition, you'll get as many with AI as you will with a bull.

dun

Not exactly what I was asking. What about bull calves or heifer calves.More bulls or about the same avg as using a bull in natural service?

JHH I think Dun is saying if you deposit the semen late you'll get more heifers. If you deposit the semen too far away you'll get more bulls???? I think I got that right.

ollie":20b1js1p said:
JHH I think Dun is saying if you deposit the semen late you'll get more heifers. If you deposit the semen too far away you'll get more bulls???? I think I got that right.

Sorry dun dont know that much about it. :oops: I am not performing the A-I a friend is and he gets mostly bulls he says. Just wondering? Wanting heifers to build herd.

P.S just had another bull calf today that makes me wonder about my bull 2 heifers in two years and 1 of them is probably a freemartin :lol:. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something. Guess I will be happy that I am getting live calves to sell and then buy some heifers.Note only have had 10 calves in these two years, but there are more on the way :D .JHH

offered other times except in the summer? What other AG classes have you taken at WSU or in the area that you think will benefit your cattles' life? Thanks for the info. I'm a WSU grad, GO COUGS! :cboy:

Cowboy13,

I kind of look like that, except remove the hair on top and make a bigger belly. My arms kind of felt like that, thought I was going to have to find a longer gun in order to get through the cervix.

Mahoney Farms,

This is the first animal science class I have taken at WSU, I have a degree in agronomy. I've been trying to get into this class for 5 years without luck. Finally talked to the professor this summer and he said no problem. I may take more animal science classes yet thought. The problem I run into is that if it's not job related I have to make up the hours I'm in class. I'm working four 10's right now and it makes for a awful long day.

Bobg

Bobg.....congrats...we always remember our first time. We haven't had real good luck AI-ing so we pay the keep on a bull.
Hasn't missed on heat detection and covering.
You work out of the Spokane campus....
DMc

Bobg":yhcahhq3 said:
It took about 10 minutes to get the gun passed and deposit semen in both horns. Now all I have to do is wait for 24 days to see if she comes into heat.
Sounds like you are either a bad student or you had a BAD teacher.

And the teacher is also full of bull sht to tell you crap like that.

I had misread the post, what a shock that is!
I had read it as asking about conception rates, not calf gender.
The earlier before ovulation you breed the more heifers you will get, closer to ovulation you get more bulls.
That said, ours have alwasy run right at 50:50.
The reason the timing matters is that the male sperm are faster swimmers and shorter lived then female. The boys get there first and are waiting for the egg. But after a time they start to weaken/die and the girls show up on the scene.

dun

Susie David,

I work for the USDA in Pullman, so I just take classes at WSU. They do have a distance learning program set up so that you can earn a masters in Bio-engineering, Ag Tm and there's one other I can't remember.

Muratic,

I won't argue the point with you about where to place the semen. The instructor is well renowned (?) in animal physiology and for the class your are required to deposit the semen in each horn. As for it taking 10 minutes to deposit the semen in my cow. I've only been attending the class for a short time and everyone's learning curve is different.

Bobg

Latest posts