AI using ampules instead of straws

Help Support CattleToday:

LibertyIIE

Reaction score
I received a semen tank from a relative because of his bad health stopped him from AI work. In this tank was approx 1000 straws of viable semen. Old but still checked good by a lab. Now the question, In the tank is some semen stored in ampules. What is the procedure for using the ampules?? I have asked several of the AI experts and none are old enough to have ever used an ampule.

That the ampule in ice water. Use a towel and break the neck of the ampule where it is scored. Draw out the semen with a 2ml syringe and use a pippette to pass the cervix.

If you don't mind my asking, which bulls do you have in the ampules?

In additiona to what cert posted, you may have to go to a vet to get the right pipettes. Thy're very thick walled and about an 1/8 or maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. A piece of rubber surgical tubing can be used to connect the syringe to the pipette.

dun

More on ice water thatw:

1) Ice water (38-42F) is placed in a styrofoam box long enough before-hand to allow temperature to equilibrate.

2) Remove the ampule from tank and place immediately into thaw box. Ampule may be placed in a small plastic cup with holes in the bottom. This prevents ice from coming into direct contact with ampule.

3) Ampule should thaw in 3 to 5 minutes. Check for slushiness and allow more time if needed.

4) Ampule may sit in ice water for as long as 30 minutes with no damage. Once removed, the semen must be used right away.

5) The layer of ice on the ampule must be peeled off before opening to avoid possible contamination.

Thanks that is just what I needed to know. The ampules contain semen from a angus bull by the name of Parabel Esso(sp).

have an inventory but it is not complete. Most of it is from an angus bull the man owned and had collected. The first calves from that bull will be on the ground in 60 days. Was lucky he let me have the tank. He knew he was never going to use it again but ABS always came by and kept the nitrogen up. He told me I could use whatever was in the tank for my own purposes as long as I took care of the nitrogen. I feel really lucky to have possession of all the semen.

"In Theory" if we as an industry are making any genetic progress than the newer bulls should be better than the older bulls. If a good bull 20 years ago was really good he should have progeny that was better than himself and they in turn at some point in their productive life would produce progeny better than themselves and so on through the generations. This in mind why would we use a bull that is old enough to be stored in ampules? My theory on breeding is use the best available and try to produce better.

Beef11":9h1dte7p said:
"In Theory" if we as an industry are making any genetic progress than the newer bulls should be better than the older bulls. If a good bull 20 years ago was really good he should have progeny that was better than himself and they in turn at some point in their productive life would produce progeny better than themselves and so on through the generations. This in mind why would we use a bull that is old enough to be stored in ampules? My theory on breeding is use the best available and try to produce better.

I'm glad you threw the "in theory" part.
While todays bulls may be considered "better", the question is better then what. I would think that some of those older bulls could still provide some valid inputs into todays cattle herds. A lot of those older bulls were from before the bigger (and even bigger) is better concept, and could be used to downsize todays herds without causing problems. I used to breed a young ladys Jerseys to a bull that was only put up in magic wands. Those things predated ampules. She ended up with a herd of older style Jerseys that were good foragers, sound structured good producing cows that were as similar as peas in a pod.

dun

Latest posts