AI Tech

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
For those of you who AI your cows but don't do it yourself, how much does it cost to get a tech to come out and do it for you? Do they charge a service call fee or per cow fee, or both? Do they promise any kind of success ratio?

I have someone to do mine this first time and I am planning on learning myself, just curious.

depends how many you have ready at one given time. per cow it can run $15.00 or so. If you have 30 maybe 10.00 per head. That is I have heard around here.

We take our open cows to an A.I. facility about 25 miles from here. They also collect, process, and store our own (& purchased) semen for us.

We have paid between about $50 and 100 to A.I. a female + semen cost. This includes about $5. to 8. per day board for the cow--we take the cow "early" to the facility to be sure they catch the proper heat sequence...easier than hauling cow back a 2nd time.

No reputable A.I. Tech, Vet, or Facility will make any type of guarantee as to whether the cow actually gets fertilized. Lot of variables, timing of A.I., condition of semen, initial processing and storage of semen, thawing of semen, A.I. procedure, condition of cow, etc. Cows we have had A.I.'d have taken with one session. I've heard that any cow that is A.I.'d will get pregnant anywhere between 50% and 100% of the time...

Only way to be sure is to Ultrasound (not palpate--too many Vet skill variables here) after about 6 to 8 weeks after A.I. Also, can put a bull with the cow about 3 or 4 weeks or so after A.I....he is better judge of heat than a Vet is...lol.

Last time the tech was out was two years ago. Charge was $35 for travel and $10/head, not counting semen of course. We're not too far from you so the cost should be comparable.

Lee

El_Putzo":ijhmeumr said:
I have someone to do mine this first time and I am planning on learning myself, just curious.

Call your extension agent. He should have contacts with other cattle operations, FFA teachers, and 4H project leaders who have the abilities to assist you. Sometimes, for nothing more than a class for their students, or the opportunity to use one of their registered bulls (of the same breed as yours) in your program. Some of them vet's shute fee's added on top the AI fee and other "misc" charges can hurt!

1848":3nk6s5wl said:
El_Putzo":3nk6s5wl said:

Call your extension agent. He should have contacts with other cattle operations, FFA teachers, and 4H project leaders who have the abilities to assist you. Sometimes, for nothing more than a class for their students, or the opportunity to use one of their registered bulls (of the same breed as yours) in your program. Some of them vet's shute fee's added on top the AI fee and other "misc" charges can hurt!

You get what you pay for as the saying goes.... 8)

El_Putzo":3lcwnvxj said:
For those of you who AI your cows but don't do it yourself, how much does it cost to get a tech to come out and do it for you? Do they charge a service call fee or per cow fee, or both? Do they promise any kind of success ratio?

Personally I think you are better off to do it yourself.we had a guy here do it for awhile...major pain.. could not find him ,when it was the ideal time to breed in the heat cycle.Even though he said he,d be at home when we syncronized.

Where do you get your semen from? When calling either Select Sires, ABS Global, Accelerated Genetics, or who ever, ask them to do it for you. If they can't do it, then ask them who they would call to get your cattle bred AI. I hope this works. :cboy:

Polled bull, where in NC are you? I'm in the northwestern part of the state and can't find a tech or anyone that will AI for me.

Like I said Robby, either call Select Sires or Accelerated Genetics and they will locate you a technican for your area. there has got to be someone. Hope this works. :cboy:

I called Select Sires to inquire about classes in this area they offer, but the guy wouldn't talk to me. I've talked to a lady about an hour and a half away that sells for Genex, but she stays closer to home. ABS and Accelerated Genetics said they didn't really service this area.

Try this link http://www.cobaselect.com This is a division of Select Sires
Very nice people to work with and they have a SUPER AI Training program! It may be a little far from you, but may be worth the travel.

For anyone that lives in the Oklahoma region, and wanting to learn how to AI. There will be two AI courses taught by Genex. The first one is in Tulsa, OK March 24, 25, and 26. The second one is in Lawton, OK April 20, 21, and 22. The cost is $450 with some of that coming back as a semen credit at the completion of the school. They require a deposit of $150, and only take a limited amount of students. These are very hands (or arms :cboy: )on courses taught by 20 years of experience. Lots of cow practice, not books and videos. PM me and I will get you the contact info.

Latest posts