AI Sons

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
I've been to many sales and everybody is high on selling these hotshot AI sons & daughters. Oh man he's a such and such son or daughter. Let me here the bids etc.... Okay now you bought some those daughters and a son of such and a such and you raise a next generation. Then it's he or she isn't as good as these because they're not AI sired. Its like dad gum he and she was awesome when bought because they were such and such but now their offspring isn't.
I just think people get caught up in an AI name to much.

Think some people could study their pedigree's and probably save some $'s buying grandson's instead of always looking for a direct son of so and so.

FlyingLSimmentals said:
Think some people could study their pedigree's and probably save some $'s buying grandson's instead of always looking for a direct son of so and so.

Only problem with a grandson is there is no proof yet. That AI sires tons of calves every year. How many calves do walking bulls create? Even if a walking bull is really awesome he will sire 200 calves in his lifetime? To be in most active AI lineups the companies I have asked they have to sell 1,000 units to stay in the book. That should be 500+ calves a year! I can't afford to have a hole in a pedigree or make a mistake with as few as cows as I'm able to run.

There are AI sired, ET calves that are of good quality at every production sale that get overlooked that sell pretty reasonable.

I'll stick to buying AI sired bulls and buying bulls from the elite producers.

I know when I'm cattle shopping I'm looking for the one that has the characteristics I need for my herd whether that be an ET calf or just a descendant down a cattle family blood line tree.

Till-Hill said:
FlyingLSimmentals said:

Only problem with a grandson is there is no proof yet. That AI sires tons of calves every year. How many calves do walking bulls create? Even if a walking bull is really awesome he will sire 200 calves in his lifetime? To be in most active AI lineups the companies I have asked they have to sell 1,000 units to stay in the book. That should be 500+ calves a year! I can't afford to have a hole in a pedigree or make a mistake with as few as cows as I'm able to run.

There are AI sired, ET calves that are of good quality at every production sale that get overlooked that sell pretty reasonable.

I'll stick to buying AI sired bulls and buying bulls from the elite producers.

Yeah I understand. Just don't like how they push their sons and then in production don't give them much a chance.

Mike. I enjoy the elite sales. But I got a confession, I have never purchased a single animal at a big sale.

I have accumulated a decent little group of cows by private trades. It makes more sense for me to produce my own direct offspring of out of AI studs than to buy and manage a bull.

Furthermore, You don't have to chase the latest and greatest AI stud. In fact, the best calf in my fall bunch is a calf sired by Grandmaster. If you do your homework, there are some great proven bulls in the Simmental Breed out there. I do like to experiment some. I used Shell Shocked this fall but I mostly stick with proven AI sires.

Bright Raven said:
Mike. I enjoy the elite sales. But I got a confession, I have never purchased a single animal at a big sale.

I have accumulated a decent little group of cows by private trades. It makes more sense for me to produce my own direct offspring of out of AI studs than to buy and manage a bull.

Furthermore, You don't have to chase the latest and greatest AI stud. In fact, the best calf in my fall bunch is a calf sired by Grandmaster. If you do your homework, there are some great proven bulls in the Simmental Breed out there. I do like to experiment some. I used Shell Shocked this fall but I mostly stick with proven AI sires.

Yeah if I had the time and was as talented as you AIing I'd probably do that too. Though it feels really great doing the homework buying the bull and watching him sire terrific calves over the years and feel dam I really knew what I was doing buying him. Also its even better when you hear that those sons you sold are doing the same for someone else. Home work PAID OFF!

I have been looking at some AI sires to breed my heifers. Have thought of going with older bulls one being Grand Master. Shell Shock looks intriguing.

FlyingLSimmentals said:
I have been looking at some AI sires to breed my heifers. Have thought of going with older bulls one being Grand Master. Shell Shock looks intriguing.
Grandmaster is not considered calving ease, though I have not had huge ones out of him. I doubt I would use him on a heifer, unless I knew she would throw a smaller calf by her genetics.

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
FlyingLSimmentals said:
Grandmaster is not considered calving ease, though I have not had huge ones out of him. I doubt I would use him on a heifer, unless I knew she would throw a smaller calf by her genetics.

He's a CE of 8.6 and BW of 1.3 ,not bad figure my heifers could do it. I breed my heifers somewhat later than several so they are usually bigger than many others. But I usually stick with double digits with CE. The Ellingson Dominator bull is still on my thoughts as well.
I will say I've been eyeing a Young One Eye Jack Blaze Face Bull that will be in the KY Beef Expo I'm intrigued enough I think I'll go to see him and just possibly to some bidding on him. That's just a maybe I'm still leaning to an AI plan for this Spring.

Bright Raven said:

Good post. That is my view too, there are many many good AI Bulls that are well proven and most are fairly reasonable as far as cost. I could pick a lot of good Angus Bulls for $20-$25. I'm sure there are several Sommentals the same way. I tried to use a mix of proven and new Bulls when AI breeding.

I agree that there are plenty of A.I. sires that aren't as good as a bull not being collected but running on cows making feeders. But it's reputation/guarantees/perception/notariety that make them "better."