Our first attempt at AI (Uno Mas)

Help Support CattleToday:

insurman

Reaction score
We have built our herd using purebred and 3/4 Simbrah bulls. I finally had a couple of heifers AI'ed and we used Uno Mas so these calves would register as a 3/4 Simbrah.
Bull calf at 6 days of age with his momma in the back ground.
[image][/image]
Heifer at 4 days and they have become fast friends and are 3/4 siblings.
[image][/image]
[image][/image]

I used up all but one straw of a cane of Uno Mas. I retained 2 heifers out of that group. I have sold the others. Including a very nice Uno Mas bull at Farm Fest in Springfield MO.

He gives up a lot of performance for the calving ease. Some lack depth and some are very hard headed.

We bred our simangus to Uno Moss and loved the bull calf we got from him. I called him Big Balls Bo and he was an attractive bull calf.

We ended up cutting him and sending him to the fat pen because he always hid behind the others and put as much distance between us as possible. I'd have sure loved to keep him as a bull, he was our best looking one out there.

Not saying that disposition has anything to do with Uno Moss. More importantly, he was the best looking guy we had! I was so disappointed in halving to cut him. If yours grow the way this one did, you're in for a treat!

NEFarmwife":1afnr4ns said:
We bred our simangus to Uno Moss and loved the bull calf we got from him. I called him Big Balls Bo and he was an attractive bull calf.

We ended up cutting him and sending him to the fat pen because he always hid behind the others and put as much distance between us as possible. I'd have sure loved to keep him as a bull, he was our best looking one out there.

Not saying that disposition has anything to do with Uno Moss. More importantly, he was the best looking guy we had! I was so disappointed in halving to cut him. If yours grow the way this one did, you're in for a treat!

That is exactly what they do!!! I mentioned their behavior. I had one out of a Flying B Cut Above cow. She was gorgeous. Called her Miss Adorable. When you walked into the group, she ran to the other side and was always alert ready for flight. A guy from Tennessee who was here to buy a bull saw here and wanted her. I explained her behavior. He said he didn't care. I sold her and they love her.

I began the sync process on some heifers for a neighbor this morning...
one of them was nutty...
she tried to run over me and banged me into a panel and banged my ribs...
nothing busted but they hurt...
Thank goodness I did not go down or I would have been in trouble....
since I have started her sync, I will finish her for this breeding but she goes on the no fly list for the future...he has several that I just will not put up with at my age...no future or no sense in it...
he recognizes the logic in what I say and does not bring me cattle I have rejected...
as my daddy used to say, "it don't cost a bit more to feed a good one than it does a sorry one."

We bought a few Ai bred regesterd heifers in 2017 to UnoMas one of which turned out to be a bull calf so we didn't steer him to use on heifers, well he is a PEST! I told the wife to stop scratching on him he's going to hurt someone. He means no harm, but gets very pushy with that poll of his. I like his structure, but he needs to get going on the vertical growth if he's going to breed heifers for us.

pdfangus":2azucchu said:
I began the sync process on some heifers for a neighbor this morning...
one of them was nutty...
she tried to run over me and banged me into a panel and banged my ribs...
nothing busted but they hurt...
Thank goodness I did not go down or I would have been in trouble....
since I have started her sync, I will finish her for this breeding but she goes on the no fly list for the future...he has several that I just will not put up with at my age...no future or no sense in it...
he recognizes the logic in what I say and does not bring me cattle I have rejected...
as my daddy used to say, "it don't cost a bit more to feed a good one than it does a sorry one."

Yep you gotta watch those suckers.. Was pregnant checking cattle with neighbors one day and one got its head stuck in a sketchy gate so I went to help her out and her head skipped gate smashed me in the head and I don't remember hitting the ground or getting back up...

Bright Raven":wfv250m2 said:
I used up all but one straw of a cane of Uno Mas. I retained 2 heifers out of that group. I have sold the others. Including a very nice Uno Mas bull at Farm Fest in Springfield MO.

He gives up a lot of performance for the calving ease. Some lack depth and some are very hard headed.

Used him for the CE because of first calf heifers....So far these two calves are doing great and growing well. Thanks for the heads up on potential attitude.

Bright Raven":2jvpvkvm said:

I agree completely on both giving up performance and hard headed. This is a 50% black heifer by Uno Mas next to a commerical Char x Chi heifer out of Steam Roller. She is a little better after halter breaking but have to do a round up to get it on her. She was also a kicker for a long time!

[image]73[/image] [image]74[/image]

TwoByrdsMG":884w3hlg said:
Bright Raven":884w3hlg said:

I agree completely on both giving up performance and hard headed. This is a 50% black heifer by Uno Mas next to a commerical Char x Chi heifer out of Steam Roller. She is a little better after halter breaking but have to do a round up to get it on her. She was also a kicker for a long time!

[image]73[/image] [image]74[/image]

None of mine kick but they are hard headed. That is certainly an Uno Mas head on Flower.

Latest posts