AI questions?

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm a greenhorn at this AI stuff and want to AI my heifers this November. But I have some stupid questions.
What does the abbreviation Tai and gnrh stand for

And I plan on the shots to make them come into heat.what are the drawbacks of this way versus natural heat? I want to try to learn to AI myself but first time will have a vet do it.

TAI is Timed AI based on the syncronization using hormones and a CIDRS. CIDRS are "Controlled Internal Drug Release" a progesterone insert that you put in the vagina for a specific number of days. GnRH is Gonadotropinodal Releasing Hormone, it makes them ovulate wether they are ready or not as long as the have a folical on an ovary. PGF2 is Prostaglandin, causes the shedding of the Corpus Luteum (CL or Yellow Body). Those are all terms that are used for various AI procedures/sequences. That's my laymans interpretation.

With TAI, they don't always show heat. Kinda hard for me to use expensive semen without seeing a heat first! With a natural heat, there's no guessing. Our protocol of choice is one where we breed only after seeing a heat. But, we are here full-time and check them as often as we need to. If time or scheduling is an issue, TAI is good because you can get them all bred at the same time, and time it where it works with your schedule. I believe this is how it's usually done if you are hiring someone to do it. Conception rates are typically higher when breeding after seeing a heat.

The drawback to breeding on observed heat is that you'll be on your vets nerves calling every time you see one jump. :D It's also easier all the way around just to do them all at a set time and not look back. I would advise a simple ov-sync program and timed AI and then in sixteen days start watching them for a week and breed whatever comes back in. If you get an oddball that doesn't stick after those two tries then she can go in the freezer.

I do both. When I give my pre-breeding vaccinations I sometimes hit the herd with a dose of Lute.
I let them cycle once then catch the following heat and breed on that "natural heat". those i don't catch I sync. Once Cidr's are pulled I heat detect (a lot come in prior to TAI time) then breed all remaining heifers at 72 hours and cows at 84 hours. Have a very good success rate.

Latest posts