AI facility needs

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
I am still new to having cows but am trying to determine my future direction. Several different options I'm looking at but all of them look like ill need to start using AI to truly get where I want to get.

I'm in the planning state but what kind of facilities do I need to do AI?

We have a small lot we use to heat detect. Long and narrow is easier to work the cattle than wide. We have a funnel at the end with a holding pen, then a sweep tub, 30 ft alley, palpation cage and squeeze chute. Good working facilities help keep the stress down on you and your cattle.

Like MidTN said, you need the pens and it is good to have a way to feed and water if you either are going to wait 12 hours to AI or want to keep the group up that you are setting up for TAI. If you plan to do TAI the show must go on in spite of the weather. Think about a roof and a wind barrier. And you need a table or some surface to lay out your "stuff". Sounds stupid but feed the a few pellets or something as they come out of the chute each time and they will move better through the repeated trips. And if your breeding season has any chance of hot days think about shade for the cows that are in the lots.

midTN_Brangusman":3n4fgb83 said:
We have a small lot we use to heat detect. Long and narrow is easier to work the cattle than wide. We have a funnel at the end with a holding pen, then a sweep tub, 30 ft alley, palpation cage and squeeze chute. Good working facilities help keep the stress down on you and your cattle.
Have any idea what the dimensions are on the small or long and narrow pens are?

You may consider contracting with someone to synchronize your cattle who also brings in their own chute and corral system. I bred mine for years by simply catching them on a halter after getting them into a shed. It all depends on your situation.

tdc_cattle":bi8yrdcg said:
midTN_Brangusman":bi8yrdcg said:

Two issues here for me:
1- Safety and mobility - I can move quickly enough when the alleyway is 12' wide. Any wider and it becomes a question of being able to get the gate shut quick enough without a cow or even the sheep turning around and coming back.
2- Moving machinery through - 16' is about as narrow as I want a place used to drive through.

So I compromise and have the closest alley at 12' and the main holding alley at 16'. Works pretty well. If you hold them long, allow 40 sq. feet per cow.

tdc_cattle":xajmu682 said:
midTN_Brangusman":xajmu682 said:

the small lot is about 24 by 100 ft, Holding pen is 10 by 30, it connects to the sweep tub. We usually do about 10 at a time, works out better for us that way and much less stressful.

Latest posts