AI expense

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
Is about $40 to AI a cow sound right? Not including semen purchase. How much do ya'll pay to have a tech come out and AI your cows. I just read an article where the tech charged $40 dollars a cow for 13 cows. This included the lut. So I figured $40 a cow plus whatever semen costs me would be the total.

Walt

Txwalt":12zi95u5 said:
Is about $40 to AI a cow sound right? Not including semen purchase. How much do ya'll pay to have a tech come out and AI your cows. I just read an article where the tech charged $40 dollars a cow for 13 cows. This included the lut. So I figured $40 a cow plus whatever semen costs me would be the total.

Walt

You need to do a bit more research - and consider calling someone from a company like Semex - I think someone is not seeing you coming down the road, they are sending for you.

Bez>

My vet charges $25.00 plus semen an i take the cow to his ranch.

i usually charge $35. that includes trip and one breeding. $5/cow after that, then whatever the semen costs and any drugs used will also be added to the bill.

Walt

There are lots of variables to the cost equation.
1. semen cost
2. AI service tech
3. Sync protocol drugs, cedirs, lut, etc:
4. Heat detection, this takes time watching the cows and tail paint or markers or timed AI
5. Most AI techs want a min amount to make it worth the trip

I have been trying to do my own for the last 2 years and it is very time consuming, I am lucky that my wife helps in watching for standing heat and will have everything ready for me when I get home from work if she sees a standing heat in the AM, we will AI that afternoon and if an afternoon heat we will get up at 6am the next morning and I will AI before going to work. Things don't always go as planned though, you will always have the one who doesn't want to go in the corral or we will miss catching her in the head gate. I plan to do TAI next this winter and try to have a min of 10 to do at a time, I still watch for standing heats and that is still the best method in my opinion.

I hope this helps, I know I am very new to this also but I listen and learn everyday.

Latest posts