AI cattle best way?

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
I raise purebred shorthorn cattle and starting a ai program i syncro 15 hiefers with progestrolin and factorel and only got 4 calves is this low or good or fair? this year i ai with natural service and it looks like 10 or so are bred out of 15 i did not do the ai service myself but had a tec do it another change i made was to use 1/4 cc straws from australia compaired to 1/2 cc from canada .

tamarack":1no9t5u3 said:
I raise purebred shorthorn cattle and starting a ai program i syncro 15 hiefers with progestrolin and factorel and only got 4 calves is this low or good or fair? this year i ai with natural service and it looks like 10 or so are bred out of 15 i did not do the ai service myself but had a tec do it another change i made was to use 1/4 cc straws from australia compaired to 1/2 cc from canada .

4 of 15 is low but timed AI is also low compared to watching for natural heat. That said, if you did BOTH AI and natural service and only have 10 of 15 bred, there's another problem - sounds like the cows. I've never used the 1/4 cc straws but all I've heard is that the conception rate is even lower still.

Just to be clear . . . by "natural service" do you mean you used a bull or you watched for natural heat?

Latest posts