AI Breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I want to AI breed my cow next year. The last time we tried to we didn't have another cow to bull her.Will an older steer do this,he is her son.Will the cow let him???Also who would I contact for an AI class??

Thanks for your help!!

Cindy

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

We've always used a horny steer as a gomer. Some steers will do the job, others just don't ever seem to get eith the program. But, she may very well try riding him if she's in heat. Contact one of the major studs, or a local semen distributor in your area. Select Sires and ABS do a lot of schools, but it depends on the area youre in. If you only plan on breeding the one cow once a year, the school will help you to learn alor abot reproduction but may not equip you to actaully get her bred. A good large animal vet or maybe the herdsman at a nearby dairy, or even the semen distributor that services your area mya be able to breed for you. It's a matter of practice that will make you proficient. It isn;t really hard, but it does take a while to develop the touch.

dun

> I want to AI breed my cow next
> year. The last time we tried to we
> didn't have another cow to bull
> her.Will an older steer do this,he
> is her son.Will the cow let
> him???Also who would I contact for
> an AI class??

> Thanks for your help!!

> Cindy
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> We've always used a horny steer as
> a gomer. Some steers will do the
> job, others just don't ever seem
> to get eith the program. But, she
> may very well try riding him if
> she's in heat. Contact one of the
> major studs, or a local semen
> distributor in your area. Select
> Sires and ABS do a lot of schools,
> but it depends on the area youre
> in. If you only plan on breeding
> the one cow once a year, the
> school will help you to learn alor
> abot reproduction but may not
> equip you to actaully get her
> bred. A good large animal vet or
> maybe the herdsman at a nearby
> dairy, or even the semen
> distributor that services your
> area mya be able to breed for you.
> It's a matter of practice that
> will make you proficient. It isn;t
> really hard, but it does take a
> while to develop the touch.

> dun Thanks Dun, My large animal vet failed twice to catch her but he didn't explain to me it takes another cow to catch her. I borrowed a bull after the 2nd try only to end up with ringworm and other problems.To make a long story short We want to try again and there isn't anyone inthe area. So I want to learn myself. I will buy all the stuff for AI. I just need a class.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Seems like there is a place in KS that has an excellent school. They also have classes in pregnancy checking and emryo transplanting. Can't recall off hand what the name is. You local semen demon, ABS, Select Sires, Genex, etc. should be able to conduct the training and equip you with everything you will need from gloves to nitrogen tank. When I had my school back many years ago, 3 of the people in the class, there was about a dozen of us, never could get the hang of it. This was a week long school. I breed for a local Branvieh farm that the owner has taken a class twice and still can't get it done. Not trying to discourage you, just lettling you know that not everyone can do it.

dun
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Seems like there is a place in KS
> that has an excellent school. They
> also have classes in pregnancy
> checking and emryo transplanting.
> Can't recall off hand what the
> name is. You local semen demon,
> ABS, Select Sires, Genex, etc.
> should be able to conduct the
> training and equip you with
> everything you will need from
> gloves to nitrogen tank. When I
> had my school back many years ago,
> 3 of the people in the class,
> there was about a dozen of us,
> never could get the hang of it.
> This was a week long school. I
> breed for a local Branvieh farm
> that the owner has taken a class
> twice and still can't get it done.
> Not trying to discourage you, just
> lettling you know that not
> everyone can do it.

> dun

Right I got you,I really don"t see a problem I know I can do it. I understand the concept and have no fear, in learning.Just need to be pointed inthe right direction. Heck here if people are afraid to do something with there animals they come get me,I just need to find the school.

Thanks

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Cindy I just got my letter and
> catalog from Graham School Inc in
> KS they can be reached at
> 800-552-3538.

Thank-you everone!! If you here of one in Wash. state or Northern Id. please let me know. The closer to home I can be, the better!!! Thanks Again!!!

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Carnation Genetics used to have a stud at Carnation, WA. Although they've been sold a couple of times, whoever bough them may still be using the facility. As a side note, they were really huge in developing Polled Herefords at that facility.

dun

> Thank-you everone!! If you here of
> one in Wash. state or Northern Id.
> please let me know. The closer to
> home I can be, the better!!!
> Thanks Again!!!
 
OP
A

Anonymous

You might check with the ABS rep in your area. ABS periodically gives AI classes in my area. Or if there's an Ag University within driving distance. Also, check with your Extension people. Good luck...

> Thank-you everone!! If you here of
> one in Wash. state or Northern Id.
> please let me know. The closer to
> home I can be, the better!!!
> Thanks Again!!!
 

Similar threads

A
AI
Replies
1
Views
2K
Anonymous
A
A
Replies
1
Views
1K
Anonymous
A

Latest posts

Top