Ahh Finally a rain

Help Support CattleToday:

J&T Farm

Reaction score
Were getting a much needed rain here in n arkansas. How did everyone else do? Looked like our neighbor to the north got some yesterday.

We got around 2 inches last night, more is on the way (according to the weather liars)

dun

If you look at the NWS radar storm totals you can see a section of SE Franklin county (MO) where it looks like only 0.5 in. or so fell. It was less and that's us. Pretty good light show though. I was trying to remember if we have even had a thunderstorm this year. Maybe one other. Really weird weather. Glad to hear you other guys got some good rain.

It was pretty violent here last night. 60-70 mph winds an quarter size hail just down the road. Only managed about 1.25 inches of rain.

We've been a little more fortunate than that here. My unofficial totals from March 1 through Aug 31 is 9.0 - 11.0 inches versus a seasonal average of 22 in for the same time period. What really has hurt with this limited rainfall is that for the most part, the rain would come in a one shot package and we would wind up with an entire month's rainfall in one day. Follow that with 30 days of 90+ and dry, dry, dry. Pasture stinks, hay stinks, flies are thick, but average to good weaning weights and the girls held condition better than I would have predicted. Last fall calver gave us a nice 878 bull calf this morning, life is good.

A fr9ed of mine between Grand Saline and Mineola has only had 7.48 inches this year. Normal for this time of year should be 25+ inches.

Rain? I wish it would rain, not for my sake, but the kids, I want them to see what it looks like.
drought.jpg

Hmmm... first post here..

Anyhow, this year in Northeast Texas has been dry. Our cow pools, or "tanks" are down all over the area. A neighbor's pool has dried up and for a while, we were letting him pump water from our well just to water his cattle till he could move them.

Our pool is steep shored and is a couple acres and it is down about 4-5ft. The grass isn't growning. It has all been a big mess this year. Hay is going to get costly this winter.

Another 9 tenths of an inch here last night. Plus 1.2 inches the night before. Should really make the fall pasture look good.

I feel for you guys that are still dry. We were having a record dry year here until about aug 10th when we got 12 inches in about 10 days. The ground sucked that up like a sponge, creeks never even got up.

My place is halfway between Grand Saline and Canton - less than 2" since end of April - pastures are gone, stock tank dried up and the trees are dying. Starting to look like the picture JWNeely posted. If you're a glass half full person, last week I was able to dozer out the stock tank (there was not even any mud) and build two more. Now just need the water to fill them.

Still no rain here. The tanks are down at least 1/2 way, some more. It's a mess, I'm afraid I'm going to have a cow get stuck. We've put out well fed watering troughs but they still go in the tanks to get cool.

we finally got some rain today :D but not near enough, we have one smaller tank thats dry, and the others thank goodness are deep, or i should say they used to be deep, but they still have enough water for now, we need enough rain here for some good run off. theres lots of people already feeding hay.
i think i heard the grass licking thier little plant lips during our brief rain today ;-)

samm":7siefldz said:
theres lots of people already feeding hay.
i think i heard the grass licking thier little plant lips during our brief rain today ;-)

I have been putting out a bale a week for 4 weeks now. No grass at all left. One pond dried up and other two very low.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1fa60jzi said:
Yup got some rain but the tanks didn't rise a lick. We need some of those gully washers and fast!

Carefull what you wish for. We had 2 real downpours, most of the seed was washed out of the ground and has formed windrows of germinating seed.

dun

dun":27xz6pg7 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":27xz6pg7 said:
Yup got some rain but the tanks didn't rise a lick. We need some of those gully washers and fast!

Carefull what you wish for. We had 2 real downpours, most of the seed was washed out of the ground and has formed windrows of germinating seed.

dun
At this point I'll take my chances and the RAIN.

Latest posts