Aggressive Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver":3aau08bh said:
Back in the day and well before my time Grandpa used the 16 ga. with rock salt. Not sure it solved all his problems but I guess it did make things happen and gave a degree of satisfaction.
That is exactly what my grandfather did when stray cows wandered onto his property. But this was north of Leesville Louisiana. Musta been about 1965. IIRC

Silver":6oi9v7hp said:
Back in the day and well before my time Grandpa used the 16 ga. with rock salt. Not sure it solved all his problems but I guess it did make things happen and gave a degree of satisfaction.

I was just going to post about rock salt when I saw this. I know those who still use it. I have heard stories of it being used on theives back several years ago but my experience has been with cattle. It stings enough that they don't like it and usually don't come back for seconds. Not sure what it does to the hide but it don't stay in it like bird shot does. I would prefer to be told first but if someone was scared for their safety they I would prefer they use rock salt before the other options mentioned here. Around here the liability many times is on the person trying to remove the animal. I know of one who hired one to be roped and he went down and died and they ended up having to pay for him. You need to know your state and local laws before doing anything extreme IMO.

True Grit Farms":2luad0qj said:
jehosofat":2luad0qj said:
20 gauge, #8's, 40 yards, at least twice.
Can't say that a 20 ga with #8 will work, but a 12 ga and three #7 1/2's will. I got a cow olé #8 that wouldn't stay where she was supposed to. It's been years since I wore her azz out and she's never been out since. I highly recommend a couple of loads of birdshot as an attitude adjustment.
Best posts on the subject. Harmless if executed correctly but is the very persuasive and 100% effective at getting the point across. Amazing how they start thinking straight when their azz is burning. They suddenly remember exactly where the gate is.

To those who have never utilized this invaluable tool... don't knock it till you try it.

Works for fighting bulls too.

NEFarmwife":1k3wmxcw said:
We run very docile bulls and I'll still keep an eye on them.

Was out to mineral/salt our Okie cows the other day and as I was dumping mineral into a tub, I heard something running up on me.

I looked behind me and there was a bull 2-3 foot from me, breathing heavy. I leaped into the truck, sure I almost died. My heart was pounding and I was so relieved I was safe. Thankfully, once he had came up on me so quickly, he had came to a stop or this could have ended very badly.

I had told my husband, as this isn't our bull. He said he had seen him out there before but it had kept a safe distance and that I was "over-reacting"... that he was probably just spooking me.

Guess who got ran into the truck? Guess who is over-reacting now? He said had he not left his truck door open, he'd have been trampled and a bull like that has no business being sold to anyone. He dropped the fence, led it to the pasture it belonged to (via the truck). Then the darn thing ran right thru it and back to our pasture.

So let's pretend this is your current situation. What do u do? My husband is reaching out to bull owner tomorrow and I even got a guy who'll come rope him to catch him, if they're needing to. But then what? If he is taken back to his pasture, he's just gonna run back thru it.
First thought for me was he wasn't real mean or he wouldnt have stopped 2-3 ft from you, a really mean one speeds up as he gets closer. I have seen them do this when I was putting out salt or feed.
Second, what did the bull owner say today?

1... Call owner and give him notice that he needs to get his bull out immediately that is is being aggressive. I you can text it that is even better. If you are not satisfied move on to the next step.

2... Call sheriff's office and let them know that you have an aggressive stray animal on your property that needs to be removed asap. Ask them their protocol and see what they say you should do if you are threatened again.

3... Put a bullet in him

You have more patience than me. I would have shot him immediately. I have zero tolerance for aggression. Every minute that animal is on your property it is your liability. Even when the guy comes to catch it that is all on your property, at your risk.

A few tips Aussie style with a quad will make him think twice about coming back. The last time you knock him over have the Burdizzos handy.

They're suppose to come haul him out this week and take him home. Said we'd assist (and by we, he certainly didn't mean I, lol)

Hope this happens and without incident. My husband had no problem moving him out with the truck the last time. I think the biggest hurdle is going to be actually catching him.

He's there because they loaded up everything else and hauled home, a month ago!

NEFarmwife":1vog5bly said:
They're suppose to come haul him out this week and take him home. Said we'd assist (and by we, he certainly didn't mean I, lol)

Hope this happens and without incident. My husband had no problem moving him out with the truck the last time. I think the biggest hurdle is going to be actually catching him.

So they left him on purpose? Or couldn't catch him?

5S Cattle":3h0ny96z said:
NEFarmwife":3h0ny96z said:

I can't answer that, honestly. I questioned it myself but my husband hates me yapping in his ear about things he's not too concerned about. :nod:

NEFarmwife":aeu5hdh7 said:
5S Cattle":aeu5hdh7 said:
NEFarmwife":aeu5hdh7 said:

I can't answer that, honestly. I questioned it myself but my husband hates me yapping in his ear about things he's not too concerned about. :nod:

I have a neighbor that has sheity cows, and a sheity bull. If his bull was in with my cows, it would be a high priority with me.

jehosofat":326hkcdh said:
NEFarmwife":326hkcdh said:
5S Cattle":326hkcdh said:

I have a neighbor that has sheity cows, and a sheity bull. If his bull was in with my cows, it would be a high priority with me.
Well honestly, these aren't our best cows. Bought them bred for little to nothing and are an assortment of breeds. They were desperate for groceries and teeth. These old Betties are calving, weaning, and headed to slaughter.
However, my husband has very little patience but if he has a mans word that he's going to do something, he'll give him the opportunity.

This post brings back memories.. Neighbor had a bull that he home raised. He didn't really want to keep the bull but the bull was so aggressive as a weanling that he was scared of him and decided he'd rather keep him than try to catch him. I guess it worked okay until the bull was a 4 yr old and decided my grass was better (it is) and my cows were prettier (they are). I found the bull with my cattle and called the cattle into the corral. The bull did fine until I'd sorted him by himself in the loading pen. Then the rodeo began!
I won't bore everyone with all the fun hijinks and misadventures that I had with this bull, but at the conclusion I had at least 3 broken gates and a bull shaped hole in the side of my barn. The bull finally left my farm by jumping a woven wire fence with 3 tranq darts hanging out of his butt.
I helped the neighbor finally load the bull in his trailer in his field with a lasso tied to a wench (I think he had 5 darts in him by then, but he was still stumbling on his feet). The neighbor ended up shooting the bull in his trailer at around 2AM the next morning whenever the drugs wore off and bull began ramming the sides of the trailer...

Lazy M":gukwqbro said:
This post brings back memories.. Neighbor had a bull that he home raised. He didn't really want to keep the bull but the bull was so aggressive as a weanling that he was scared of him and decided he'd rather keep him than try to catch him. I guess it worked okay until the bull was a 4 yr old and decided my grass was better (it is) and my cows were prettier (they are). I found the bull with my cattle and called the cattle into the corral. The bull did fine until I'd sorted him by himself in the loading pen. Then the rodeo began!
I won't bore everyone with all the fun hijinks and misadventures that I had with this bull, but at the conclusion I had at least 3 broken gates and a bull shaped hole in the side of my barn. The bull finally left my farm by jumping a woven wire fence with 3 tranq darts hanging out of his butt.
I helped the neighbor finally load the bull in his trailer in his field with a lasso tied to a wench (I think he had 5 darts in him by then, but he was still stumbling on his feet). The neighbor ended up shooting the bull in his trailer at around 2AM the next morning whenever the drugs wore off and bull began ramming the sides of the trailer...

A 20 gauge with #8's at 40 yards, two years earlier, would have alleviated this situation.

jehosofat":3ews0q67 said:
Lazy M":3ews0q67 said:

A 20 gauge with #8's at 40 yards, two years earlier, would have alleviated this situation.

Would've helped for sure. Animals are often a lot like children. If it's not clear who is in charge, they will assume it's them. At which point they are hard, to impossible, to handle.

JMJ Farms":36iqlyvr said:
jehosofat":36iqlyvr said:
Lazy M":36iqlyvr said:

Would've helped for sure. Animals are often a lot like children. If it's not clear who is in charge, they will assume it's them. At which point they are hard, to impossible, to handle.

Hence, the situation we find ourselves in.

NEFarmwife":2vqo6bdz said:
5S Cattle":2vqo6bdz said:
NEFarmwife":2vqo6bdz said:

my husband hates me yapping in his ear about things he's not too concerned about. :nod:
which in our case. is 90 percent of the time.. :lol:

littletom":5veee95l said:
If neighbor cant tote him off. A dart gun and trailer work pretty darn good.
it does, and best get him to the yard before he comes around..I've hauled em like that ...that came too on the way in..caught me and the rig off Guard.

ALACOWMAN":3rcj2qa5 said:
littletom":3rcj2qa5 said:
If neighbor cant tote him off. A dart gun and trailer work pretty darn good.
it does, and best get him to the yard before he comes around..I've hauled em like that ...that came too on the way in..caught me and the rig off Guard.
I've bought a few cows that must of been tamed like that.

We had cows at a pasture where the neighbors bull was constantly over the fence. When time came for that neighbor to sell the bull, we just called ours in, one was in heat, and we ran them both right on the trailer. This bull would go over/through any fence when he didn't want to be caught up. Not really mean, just didn't want to be in a pen. The cow took a ride to town with the bull, they ran them both in the pen with extra tall sides, then cut the bull out onto the scales and the cow came back home to her calf and the pasture. Would never try to load a mean or nutty bull by its self after that. The yard penned him with cull cows and he was okay. It was a bit of a pain to have to take the cow back, but definitely better than having the trailer torn up. The neighbor was an 80 yr old man and no way would we let him tangle with that bull by himself.

Latest posts