Age this buck...

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
How old do you think this SE Texas buck is? I know he has to be over 6 1/2 but I'm having a hard time putting a direct age on him...of course I could shoot him and find out...but how old do you think? O yea, and do you think he has an inside spread of 13 inches or greater?

Reindeer15.jpg

Reindeer6.jpg

Reindeer3.jpg

Reindeer.jpg

LAST YEAR
Tall82.jpg

YEAR BEFORE (2006)
Reindeer1.jpg

He doesn;t have the old man look that I would expect from a 6 1/2 year old, I would have guessed more like 3 1/2 - 4 1/2

Bez+":2nio7dbq said:
Why do you figure he is this old?

Bez+

Almost everything about him says he is old....he is more than likely over 6 1/2yrs old....maybe northern deer age different than southern deer....but hopefully I can shoot him and find out for sure how old he really is...also here is a vidoe of him...
Video #1 http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr304/ETDroptine/?action=view&current=cd4a9534.pbr
Video #2 http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/TigLarson/?action=view&current=4701d417.pbr

TexasBred":2b9g0re1 said:
3??? I'm sorry but I can't see how you get 3 yrs old....can you please explain your reasons....and please not just "He doesn't have the old man look"

I would have shot him too...if I would have known that he comes out during the day

Four to five yrs old. The old man look is the gut, and he doesn't have much. Maybe 13in on the spread

I would guess 3 or 4, but could you get him to open his mouth next time your snap him?? :lol2: :lol:

K2011":2y2h8eh5 said:
TexasBred":2y2h8eh5 said:
3??? I'm sorry but I can't see how you get 3 yrs old....can you please explain your reasons....and please not just "He doesn't have the old man look"

Jsut a shot in the dark. Not heavy enough, no real sway to his back, not very dark and antlers don't really look like what you would expect on a more mature buck. Looks like one that will be a real trophy if you give him time and supplement him well. Just my 2 cents worth. I'm not even a deer hunter. :)

I'm going to guess 3 to 3.5 years. 4 tops. Nice rack but not as heavy beamed as I'd expect an older deer to have. Also, body and coat looks like a younger than I'd expect on an old buck. I don't know much about your deer out there other than I do know ya'll can raise some fine racks. Here, if we can get a buck to 4.5 - 5 years of age he will be much heavier than that and I'm pretty sure ya'll have better genetics than we do.

The slight squint of the eyes, debth in the chest makes me think he is older than 3. 3yr olds are straight backed & chest, and are wide eyed.

IF he was 6 1/2 his eyes would be like slits, some droopy-ness on the face, ect...

That is why my guess falls inbetween at 4-5. Because he has a slightly drooping chest, slight sway back, slight squint to the eyes. All features of and older buck, but none of the features of 6+ yr old.

Wait until you see it in person. Pictures can be decieving. :)

I would say he would be around 5 1/2 years old but it wouldn't matter to me because he displays some bad antler characteristics throughout his life. Thats just my opinion but I would get him out of the herd.

Brute 23":fac6jiw5 said:
The slight squint of the eyes, debth in the chest makes me think he is older than 3. 3yr olds are straight backed & chest, and are wide eyed.

IF he was 6 1/2 his eyes would be like slits, some droopy-ness on the face, ect...

That is why my guess falls inbetween at 4-5. Because he has a slightly drooping chest, slight sway back, slight squint to the eyes. All features of and older buck, but none of the features of 6+ yr old.

Wait until you see it in person. Pictures can be decieving. :)

I've seen him in person....4 times as a matter of fact....

I've posted the video...here it is again...

Video #1 http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr30 ... 4a9534.pbr
Video #2 http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk31 ... 01d417.pbr

That's my big issue...if he is anything less than 13 inches I can NOT shoot him....