AGE OF HEIFER BEFORE BREEDING

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
HI, I am a newbie but have a couple of heifers (bottle raised) one is 3 years old and the other is about 2 years old. The 2 year old is kind of small in size. I also have a bull that is 3 years old. I think the 3 year old jersey/Holstein cow is pregnant. not sure how to tell yet but from the signs I see she is. (stand offish, large stomach, beginning to bag and eat any thing give to her. I guess this is 2 questions, for the jersey Holstein is this assumption correct for pregnancy? and 2nd ?? is how old does a heifer need to be before breeding? she weighs about 400 lbs. I would guess. Really no way to weigh her at my place. any comments and suggestions appreciated. (and thanks) Tom

I hope you are either way off on the weight or the age. A 2 year old should weigh in excess of 900 lbs. Shouldn;t be bred till they are in the minimum of 700 lb range, 800 would be better. Those are just sort of SWAGs since I haven;t messed with Holsteins in years.

SORRY, I see I'm posting in wrong place here but in reply to weight of cow, my weight tape shows about 750 lbs. but I'm not sure of it's accuracy so I guessed on the low side.

Latest posts