Ag Sprayer rescued from the graveyard

Help Support CattleToday:

red angus 2010

Reaction score
Will probably kick myself shortly but I have gone back to the graveyard and pulled the old century 300 gal boom sprayer out. I need a rig and buying one is out of the question. I have a few questions that I would appreciate help with. Will use this to spray alfalfa for weevil and to kill grass. May also use to spray some small fields of row crop for weed/ grass control.
Wanting to run 30 or 40 foot boom.
How do i calculate pump size needed will run off tractor pto (65 hp tractor)
how does an agitator work and is it needed?
What variables go into the manifold?
Is it better to shut of sprayer with electric solenoid or just turn off pto?
Will not need markers I have a trimble 250

When completed I will post before after photos, will also post the dog house i will be living out of for taking this on

Help is appreciated

This will answer none of your questions, sorry. I built a boomless sprayer for about $300. It does everything I want it to, and sprays about 45 feet. I had an old boom sprayer that I decided would be more trouble than it was worth.

red angus 2010":2meq6ffj said:
Will probably kick myself shortly but I have gone back to the graveyard and pulled the old century 300 gal boom sprayer out. I need a rig and buying one is out of the question. I have a few questions that I would appreciate help with. Will use this to spray alfalfa for weevil and to kill grass. May also use to spray some small fields of row crop for weed/ grass control.

When completed I will post before after photos, will also post the dog house i will be living out of for taking this on

http://www.wlhamiltonco.com/Nozzles.htm

Help is appreciated

red angus 2010":1tsuotii said:
Based on the chemical your using and how many gallons per acre is recommended will determine the nozzle size which will determine which pump. Assuming your using a roller I'd get an 8 roller, you may not always need that much pump but you'll have it if you ever do
Agitator works off of you return/bypass line
Not sure what your asking

I like a solenoid valve

Help is appreciated

Thanks for all of the help
What I meant about the manifold is that it is pretty simple isn't it? fluid in and fluid out to the tips? or is there a pressure regulator as part of the manifold?
I will try to explain what I meant about the pump. A certain pressure and ground speed will take a determined acreage to empty the tank so if I put 100 gallons of water in and drive full throttle to maintain my rpm and pto speed my ground speed is basically fixed and with the trimble unit when the 100 gallons is gone I can check and see how many acres I have covered. For example 100 gallons 25.1 acres (hypothetical).
So I am thinking that my pump is determined by what pressure needs to be delivered at the tip for correct tip pattern. Is this correct or will there be a regulator that needs to be on the sprayer cause certain applications and/ or tips require different pressures. Also with 20 foot of boom each side of the tank is there any pressure loss to calculate for resistance/ length of hose ( I wouldn't think so with such a small distance)

Back to the pressure if I need to cover fifty acres and the sprayer does 25.6 acres per 100 gallons my calculation is as follows:
acreage to cover 50 at 25.1 acres per 100 gallons equals 200 gallons per 50.2 acres add 200 gallons of water to the tank
select herbicide 4 oz to acre equals 200 oz added to tank to cover 50 acres
Mustang max 8 ox per acre equals 400 oz added to the tank to cover 50 acres
Thank again for the help

I obviously don't know about spraying as far as the tips do you select a tip based on the pattern and to achieve that pattern requires a certain pressure?

Latest posts