advice please

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
have taken some 8 month old calves off their mothers and brought them into the barn. they have been apart for 5 days now and the calves have nt stopped mooing to their mothers. first couple of days the mothers called back but have stopped know. the problem i now have is that a couple of the calves can no longer moo as though they have a very bad soar throat. will this sort itself out in time or should i take action.

They could bawl for mama for a few more weeks...pen them where they can see each other the seperation won't be so tramatic. Some are more vocal than others and I wouldn't worry about sore throats.
Dave Mc

thanks and yes i was serious. every time something happens that you have not seen before you are bound to ask questions. i d have looked more stupid if i called vet. i thought about putting mothers close in the barn but normally they stay out for another month so thought it may be too early. if my throat was that soar i d want to take something. thanks again

that barn is the biggest trouble.. they would be better outside were they could aleast be next too moma then in a dusty barn poor ventilation """stressed""" out already... id hit em with a light antibotic to be safe

There have been several threads here in the past that describe and picture fence line weaning.

As mentioned above, things are a lot less stressfull when cow and calf can see each other on the opposite sides of a good fence. Some even showed just a single very hot wire between them.

The bawling is not as important as the stress and weight loss during the weaning period.

Try fenceline weaning. Putting them in a barn is also just asking for disease problems to set in while they are stressed. jmho.

Jim

Had the same problem until we changed our weaning.
Feed the cows and calves some hay before weaning. We start the first of September and only twice a week.

We weaned on a Sunday and the calves and cows had quit bawling by Thursday.

Agree with alacowman.
You have taken calves that are mooing excessively (thereby doing deeper breathing than normal) and put them in a barn - not good for the lungs. On top of that you have taken them out of the sun which provides a great deal of vitamins. Put them outside, they will be less stressed and a lot healthier.

Pay close attention to all of the advice here! And definitely pracitce "Fenceline Weaning". Go on the internet to investigate the details of how to do it. And get them OUT of the barn! Lack of fresh air and presence of Ammonia (Urine) is a formula for trouble!

DOC HARRIS

This is another poster that does not give his location. For all we know he may be at the north or south pole and they would freeze to death outside of barn.
On the other hand maybe he is somewhere where lions and tigers or some other wild animal would eat them if they were outside.

Would be a lot better if posters would put their location in the avatar space.

Get some Quiet Wean nose flaps and leave them right with mama. Now before everybody else tells you, yes some will learn to turn their head and grab a teat with their tongue, but when they get split I'd rather listen to 1 than 50. I hate listening to my neighbors and they are 3/4 mile away. Mine don't bawl, go off feed, get sick, get sore throat or whatever. And it ain't that big a deal putting them in or taking them out.

Ryder":3ay7kufc said:
This is another poster that does not give his location. For all we know he may be at the north or south pole and they would freeze to death outside of barn.
On the other hand maybe he is somewhere where lions and tigers or some other wild animal would eat them if they were outside.

Would be a lot better if posters would put their location in the avatar space.

Agree with you Ryder, wish everyone would put on at least a general location. However, this particular poster has posted pics of his place (no lions or tigers) and has given average temps which I think went from -5 winter to 30 some in summer.

I fenceline wean as well and let them into a common area once a day for about 20 minutes to 1/2 hr to let them suck. Try to do this for 7 days then stop. Very little if any bawling involved now and almost no sickness. Not practical for everyone but works great.

Ryder":22lgb032 said:
This is another poster that does not give his location. Would be a lot better if posters would put their location in the avatar space.
Maybe he wants people to guess his location. I guess Ohio.

my location is england as some of you may already know from previous posts. ok i put my hands up i got it wrong. in an ideal world and future i will fenceline them. i only have a small set up and use 2 fields on the farm and 1 further away. the farm belongs to my mother and she runs horse liveries so uses all the other feilds at the farm. when i finished grazing 1 of the feilds for this year i allowed mum to put some horses in there so i only have one feild to use. yes i could have put i tempory wire up but thought it would be easier to put them in barn. what i did nt say was that the barn also has an outside yard they can go out in so they still get sun and air. they have know settled down but 2 of them still sound a little soar. they are eating ok a look well so i ll see how it goes.

We've had foals and calves loose their voices from pining for their mamas. They'll be fine.
Fenceline or not, getting them started on hay or a little feed just before you wean them does help a lot.

Latest posts