Breeding Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Got it.
Thanks for the input.
Into looking at Speckle Park. Initially, I love the color but can't justify the rear-ends. So far, I don't think they're "beefy" enough to show. Still working on it.
Thanks for the input.
Pete

We used a red shorthorn bull called Purple Eclipse about 10 years ago on our simmental/simangus cows for club calves had some really good calves both red and blue roan out of him, and his roan gene must be strong 4 generations in we finally had our first solid black calf again.

Thanks for the heads-up. My best cow is a blue roan out of a shorthorn cow and a simmental bull. I'll look up Purple Eclipse!
Sure like some more like her: color and conformation.
Pete

Lady I know breeds some very thick and hardy British White cattle. She has a FB page called 'British White Beef' and she is out of MN. She has collected semen on several and they are phenomenal.

Now that you've moved off of Shorthorns and 'into the weeds' of other minor breeds, let me throw Braunvieh into the mix for consideration.
Great cattle that do a lot of things well... and out of red or red-carrier cows, you'll likely get some red brindle calves... we had several good-looking young brindle Braunvieh-cross cows in the herd when we dispersed this fall... unfortunately, all of them went to MO... didn't stay close enough here for me to see how they do.

lms0229 said:
Lady I know breeds some very thick and hardy British White cattle. She has a FB page called 'British White Beef' and she is out of MN. She has collected semen on several and they are phenomenal.
Thanks for the heads up.
P

Lucky_P said:
Now that you've moved off of Shorthorns and 'into the weeds' of other minor breeds, let me throw Braunvieh into the mix for consideration.
Great cattle that do a lot of things well... and out of red or red-carrier cows, you'll likely get some red brindle calves... we had several good-looking young brindle Braunvieh-cross cows in the herd when we dispersed this fall... unfortunately, all of them went to MO... didn't stay close enough here for me to see how they do.
Great Idea! I know these cows. Even though they are "continental" they are generally seen in the south US. Not clear how well they would do calving in the snow.
Polling is essential and I am a little leery of the veracity of the semen.
Love the cattle; great suggestion.
Thanks, PR

uh... Several of the oldest Braunvieh herds in the country are in Nebraska...winters tougher than I care to deal with...pretty sure they can handle whatever Angus, Simmental, etc., can.
Plenty of pulled purebreds available these days.

Latest posts