Advice on shopping for a butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

chillycow

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been lurking for quite a while, but this will be my first post. Thanks for all the valuable information that has been posted over the years, it has really helped me out.

So to my questions. I'm getting ready to take my first bull out to the butcher and I'm looking for tips and tricks on selecting the processor. I have searched the old posts and know the standard line is to talk to the locals and see what they suggest. But as I ask around it seems like the responses are all over the map. One guy swears butcher x steals the meat, and the other guy swears butcher y does the same. So, does anyone have any advice other than word of mouth as to how to pick a good shop?

For example, should I try to negotiate a price based on package weight instead of hanging weight? That will take incentive away from the processor to skimp on the deboning.
Is it common for a shop to let you in to do an inspection?

One other concern is that this is the busy time of the year for the processors due to deer season and fall culls. Does quality suffer as the processors may be overworked in the late fall? Does it pay to wait a few more weeks until demand slacks off?

Also, I'm in the south central Indiana area if you want to post a recommendation =)
Any additional help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

as for it them processing deer and being busy
all of the butchers around here stop butchering anything but deer until season is over
I have been told that it is too much work to process beef or pork while they are processing deer because they have to completely disassamble everything and clean it after processing deer before they can go back to beef and pork because of cross cantamination
don't know just what I have been told
and NONE of the butchers that do deer will do beef or pork from the 1st of Nov to the 1st of Dec around here

I wait till the deer rush is over cause I don't want that smell in my meat. I also talk to the butcher and he has been real good about letting me see what I want to see. My main concern is watching them being split and seeing the tags go on them. As soon as they are split I can tell what they are going to be.

Red Bull Breeder":mqbacyl4 said:
Just go talk to each butcher shop and try the one you like the best.

Definately do this, if the butcher won't let you inspect their operation, they may very well have something to hide. They should talk you through the whole process of kill to freezer and lay out all costs that will be yours beforehand.

Some butchers around here do not do deer processing, if they do, they are absolutely swamped during the deer season and probably wouldn't take your beef anyway.

I would guess 95% of butchers are honest. There are always people that think there animals are bigger and better tasting than everyone else's. If you are expecting to be taken advantage of you will never be happy with things. Life is going to be very difficult if you don't trust anyone. If you have a bad experience at one place do like BHB and find another place.

Call a couple places and find out prices, how long they hang the carcass, and how busy they are. If one place is begging for business and another is booked a couple months out there probably is a reason.

I Picked one that was close to home , had a good rep and did a good business.
they were booked for months and only take in beef once a week.
They walked me all thru the plant front to back explaining the process.
They have my first steer on the hook now, got my fingers crossed.
Bill

ChrisB":bm2vynpi said:
I would guess 95% of butchers are honest. There are always people that think there animals are bigger and better tasting than everyone else's. If you are expecting to be taken advantage of you will never be happy with things. Life is going to be very difficult if you don't trust anyone. If you have a bad experience at one place do like BHB and find another place.

Call a couple places and find out prices, how long they hang the carcass, and how busy they are. If one place is begging for business and another is booked a couple months out there probably is a reason.
Thank you, saved me a bunch of typing

dun":qv0jy482 said:
ChrisB":qv0jy482 said:

Thank you, saved me a bunch of typing

ditto!!