advice on older colt

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":1di82ini said:
I guess I'm to rough. I'd run him down an ally and put a rope halter on him with a 15' lead braided to it. Turn him out and try to scratch him a little.

Hey bigfoot,

Thought of that one, but my cattle runway/corral is a LONG way from my front pasture where the colt is.... I'm going to have to rough house him to halter him, then the training will begin when he's stalled and figures out that he won't eat or drink without me; and seeing me is a good thing.

Well, the round pen was dry enough this afternoon.... so why wait.

I walked into the round pen and he followed, knowing I had a bucket of feed. Once he got in, I locked the gate and put the feed outside. I pulled the rope out and he got nervous quick. He was so nervous that I tried to rope his front hoof - as suggested before (thanks cow pollinator). Once I got the lasso around his front right hoof he showed his strength, but I quickly walked around him and his back left leg wrapped in the rope as well. It was way better than I could have hoped for. After just a couple of minutes of struggling, he faced me and let me walk up to him and touch his neck (still while roped). I put a halter on him and treated a couple of small cuts he sustained in the fight. But once he realized I was in control with the rope, he calmed down really quick. He stood quitely while I attached a lead rope to his halter (no pulling at this time - just wanted him to see it). I wormed him, and brushed him for a while. Then on my terms I pulled the rope off his leg and let him loose. He didn't run around in the round pen as expected but was very calm. I went back and hour later and rewarded him with sweet feed and carrots. He'll stay in the round pen for a couple of weeks now while I work with him. Here's a pic of the colt after he was dead slap wore out, and just standing calmly for me while I brushed him and had just put the halter on. I never dreamed it would take less than an hour!

cypressfarms":3st3c41l said:
Well, the round pen was dry enough this afternoon.... so why wait.

I walked into the round pen and he followed, knowing I had a bucket of feed. Once he got in, I locked the gate and put the feed outside. I pulled the rope out and he got nervous quick. He was so nervous that I tried to rope his front hoof - as suggested before (thanks cow pollinator). Once I got the lasso around his front right hoof he showed his strength, but I quickly walked around him and his back left leg wrapped in the rope as well. It was way better than I could have hoped for. After just a couple of minutes of struggling, he faced me and let me walk up to him and touch his neck (still while roped). I put a halter on him and treated a couple of small cuts he sustained in the fight. But once he realized I was in control with the rope, he calmed down really quick. He stood quitely while I attached a lead rope to his halter (no pulling at this time - just wanted him to see it). I wormed him, and brushed him for a while. Then on my terms I pulled the rope off his leg and let him loose. He didn't run around in the round pen as expected but was very calm. I went back and hour later and rewarded him with sweet feed and carrots. He'll stay in the round pen for a couple of weeks now while I work with him. Here's a pic of the colt after he was dead slap wore out, and just standing calmly for me while I brushed him and had just put the halter on. I never dreamed it would take less than an hour!

Not to quote George W. but mission accomplished! Nice job, better done than most probably done it.

chippie":2p5aunpn said:
Good job! He's a nice looking colt and sounds like he is a quick learner.

I think he is Chippie;

Second day went out with feed, and he let me walk straight toward his shoulder with the brush in my hand, and I proceeded to brush him for about 15 minutes. I think this is a very smart colt. Tomorrow I'll try attaching the lead rope again and just let it hang while I brush. within a couple of weeks, he should be following me with the lead rope.....hopefully :)