Accuration Range Liquid

Help Support CattleToday:

Jessica06

Reaction score
Purina is making a new liquid now with 32% CP, 10% fat, and 76% TDN. We've been trying it out on our fall cows with ~60-75 day old calves on bluestem pasture and they are in about the same body condition they were in at calving. Anyone else trying this stuff out?

I question many of Purina's claims about any product. I'm sure this will work as well as most liquid feeds tho. Watch for separation and settling of the fat to the bottom of the feeder.

In the past 2 years, we've tried three different brands of liquid, and Purina is the first one to actually make a noticeable difference in our cows. The quality of the grass here is very poor, so it is just about a necessity that we supplement. For the first half of last winter we used Mix 30 (it's cheap) and the cows were getting thinner and chasing us to the gate, bawling. We put out Suprlix (32-5) for the rest and they immediately stopped bothering us, and stopped losing condition.

We went to a couple of seminars in the area where a Purina guy gave a talk about the new liquid, and in a trial they did at a ranch near here last winter, they improved the BCS of cows nursing calves by as much as 1.5.

How much does it cost, and how much are the cows consuming?

ricebeltrancher":3cxn3a8e said:
In the past 2 years, we've tried three different brands of liquid, and Purina is the first one to actually make a noticeable difference in our cows. The quality of the grass here is very poor, so it is just about a necessity that we supplement. For the first half of last winter we used Mix 30 (it's cheap) and the cows were getting thinner and chasing us to the gate, bawling. We put out Suprlix (32-5) for the rest and they immediately stopped bothering us, and stopped losing condition.

We went to a couple of seminars in the area where a Purina guy gave a talk about the new liquid, and in a trial they did at a ranch near here last winter, they improved the BCS of cows nursing calves by as much as 1.5.

Would you expect anything less from the "Purina guy"?? ;-)

You caught me. I thought I deleted that post after I reread it and decided that it looked like a horribly blatant sales pitch! Maybe they should offer me a job... ;-) The cows really do look better though, I'm just interested to see if they stay that way through the winter.

We are getting it now for $309/ton. I don't know exactly how much they are going through right now. Not any more or less than I expect them to. They are supposed to eat the same amount as the 32-5 Suprlix, and I would say that's about what our cows are doing. 1-2 pounds head/day.

ricebeltrancher":2lv8o5e6 said:
You caught me. I thought I deleted that post after I reread it and decided that it looked like a horribly blatant sales pitch! Maybe they should offer me a job... ;-) The cows really do look better though, I'm just interested to see if they stay that way through the winter.

We are getting it now for $309/ton. I don't know exactly how much they are going through right now. Not any more or less than I expect them to. They are supposed to eat the same amount as the 32-5 Suprlix, and I would say that's about what our cows are doing. 1-2 pounds head/day.
If you can get by on a couple of lbs. a day and hold body condition that's great. The $309 sounds high but with the high fat content it may very well be in line. Can't knock something that is working for you. ;-)

That means one pound is just of 15 cents a day, two pounds almost 31 cents a day per head.

RD-Sam":3j59n172 said:
That means one pound is just of 15 cents a day, two pounds almost 31 cents a day per head.

That would put it in line with range cubes or just about any other protein supplementation and if the TDN and fat figures are correct you get a lot more energy so all in all not bad. Should compliment low quality hay very well.

I am trying an Accuration liquid also. The version I am using is 34% protein and 12% fat that is running $285/ton. I have not used liquid in years but due to the dry weather I am giving it a try to see what the consumption will be.

LaneFarms":1735ihxa said:
I am trying an Accuration liquid also. The version I am using is 34% protein and 12% fat that is running $285/ton. I have not used liquid in years but due to the dry weather I am giving it a try to see what the consumption will be.
Give us a follow up in a couple months...hope it works well for you.

Texasbred for an update the product I am using is working well for mature cows averaging a little less than 4 lbs a day. The problem I am now having is I have some first calf heifers that are starving to death on it. I am wondering if it has something to do with it being 30% NPN?

Thanks for the update Lane. The NPN shouldn't ahve anything to do with it. That's a lot of urea but no higher than most of the competitors and with the low intake should not be a problem. The quality of your grazing has probably changed considerably and if your weather is getting colder the cattle are using a lot more calories just for maintenance than earlier. Are you feeding hay yet and if so do you know anything about the quality. Regardless, with the liquid having such high protein, that shouldn't be a problem. The added fat should give a real boost in energy but sometimes we can overload the rumen with fat with the end result being lower dry matter intake.

TB I have been feeding hay for 2 months now. I am feeding some fair 7-8% hay along with some hairy indigo hay that is 12%. We pulled the heifers this afternoon out of the main herd and went and bought a buggy load of feed to try and help them out. A couple had gotten in pretty bad shape. I hope they can overcome it and finish raising this calf.

Latest posts