Long Range

Help Support CattleToday:

I did an on farm two year trial. We have five pastures that are with in a township of each other. So we decided to run our own trial on Long Range, injectable Cydecton, and injectable Dectomax.
The first year our drug rep gave us enough LR for 40 pairs. So we treated 2 pastures with LR, 2 with Inj Cydecton, and 1 with Inj Dectomax.
Our nutritionist ran fecal tests and we were pleasantly surprised at the results for the LR. Cydecton was ok and Dectomax in satisfactory.
All the cow winter at home, co-mingled, and are given an oral wormer (Safeguard, Synanthic) at preg check time.
Year 2- We had to buy the LR this time, we treated 1 pasture for a 2nd year and one for a first year. The other 3 were given Cydecton.
The cattle on the pasture that had been given LR for the second year was the worst parasite load. It only took a year to build resistance.
The one thing I like about LR is that cattle treated with it will have no flies. That's a nice side effect.
I know some producers that give LR just to their suckling calves, and claim it reduces the flies in a pasture. It doesn't cost a lot of you are only treating the calves.

I used LR last year. It helped with flies, but did not solve that issue entirely. I did not run fecal tests. It was very expensive for my small operation. Haven't decided whether to use again this year or use a different strategy.

I have no worm load of any consequence, but the elimination of the summer fly load is what keeps me keen to eventually use LR. I may summon enough courage to pay the price this year - see where cattle prices end up.

I have used it for 3 years now. Last year I only did the calfs with it. Mostly for the effect on flies but didn't make a big difference last year for some reason. Wont be doing it this year due to expense vs. market uncertainty for fall calfs. Valbazen it is this year.

I used it several years on bred heifers that I sold in the fall. There was less flies and I didn't have to treat for worms mid summer like I had in the past. In the last 2 weeks here we gave Long Range to 600 head of stockers. I know a guy who runs 1,000 head of stockers who swears by it.

I know most here won't want to hear this...and probably will pay no heed, but...
The only animal that should ever see LR is something that's gonna have its head cut off, like stockers - which should not run with, or on same ground with the cow-calf herd.
Use in a cow-calf operation is a disaster in the offing, with regard to rapidly selecting for resistant nematode parasites. It's there every second of every day for months. Is the dose you gave that 200#calf still appropriate and effective 5 months later when he's 300-500# heavier? IDK, but I've got doubts...but regardless, it's still there, selecting for resistant parasites.
LR-treated heifers should not be brought back into the breeding herd...they'll be bringing resistant worms with them.
Resistance to the ML and benzimidazole dewormers appears to be 'forever' once you've selected for it in your herd/on your premises.
And, using LR - or any pour-on macrocyclic lactone(ivermectin class) for 'fly control' is sheer lunacy.

Lucky_P said:
I know most here won't want to hear this...and probably will pay no heed, but...
The only animal that should ever see LR is something that's gonna have its head cut off, like stockers - which should not run with, or on same ground with the cow-calf herd.
Use in a cow-calf operation is a disaster in the offing, with regard to rapidly selecting for resistant nematode parasites. It's there every second of every day for months. Is the dose you gave that 200#calf still appropriate and effective 5 months later when he's 300-500# heavier? IDK, but I've got doubts...but regardless, it's still there, selecting for resistant parasites.
LR-treated heifers should not be brought back into the breeding herd...they'll be bringing resistant worms with them.
Resistance to the ML and benzimidazole dewormers appears to be 'forever' once you've selected for it in your herd/on your premises.
And, using LR - or any pour-on macrocyclic lactone(ivermectin class) for 'fly control' is sheer lunacy.

I certainly never use LR as a fly control. I did notice less flies when I used. I kept with my normal fly control program. I just didn't have to do it as often.

SBMF 2015 said:
I did an on farm two year trial. We have five pastures that are with in a township of each other. So we decided to run our own trial on Long Range, injectable Cydecton, and injectable Dectomax.
The first year our drug rep gave us enough LR for 40 pairs. So we treated 2 pastures with LR, 2 with Inj Cydecton, and 1 with Inj Dectomax.
Our nutritionist ran fecal tests and we were pleasantly surprised at the results for the LR. Cydecton was ok and Dectomax in satisfactory.
All the cow winter at home, co-mingled, and are given an oral wormer (Safeguard, Synanthic) at preg check time.
Year 2- We had to buy the LR this time, we treated 1 pasture for a 2nd year and one for a first year. The other 3 were given Cydecton.
The cattle on the pasture that had been given LR for the second year was the worst parasite load. It only took a year to build resistance.
The one thing I like about LR is that cattle treated with it will have no flies. That's a nice side effect.
I know some producers that give LR just to their suckling calves, and claim it reduces the flies in a pasture. It doesn't cost a lot of you are only treating the calves.

How hard is it to do a fecal test or is there some where you can send it off?

What I am getting at is I wonder if worming spring and fall is necessary ever year. I would rather test it and see when it is necessary.

Brute 23 said:
SBMF 2015 said:

What I am getting at is I wonder if worming spring and fall is necessary ever year. I would rather test it and see when it is necessary.
Most vet clinics can do them. If not, they have access to a diagnostic lab they could send it to.

We have used Long Range on our cows the past two Springs. One thing that we did do (advice from the vet) is to not treat 10% of the herd with LR. There is a couple of reasons for this but the main reason would be the resistance issue... Maybe Lucky-P can elaborate on that. I must admit, one of the benefits of using LR is the length of the fly control which is very nice here in Middle Tennessee.

Brute 23 said:
SBMF 2015 said:

It's super easy. We just walk around with the cows and pick up several very fresh samples put them in the same bag and run it to the vets. They have a Tec do parasite load counts in the back room.
The couple years we used LR our feed company was trying to promote Safe-Guard feed grade. So they came out collected samples and ran tests for free.

What would a microscope good enough to do it myself cost?
I can count sperm on a slide so surely I can see a worm egg or larva.

Any microscope good enough to see sperm will work for parasites. The hardest part is learning to identify the parasites you see.

Stocker Steve said:
How did Safe Guard work for you ?

Not worth a darn. I treated a group of pairs with Safe-Guard pellets .Two and a half weeks later we rechecked them. My nutritionist called and said the lab had called her. They said that there was a high parasite load, and that we should worm those cows with Safe-Guard right away. Lol!
Now that being said, I have had really good results using Safe-Guard flake meal mixed in with my loose mineral.