AC problems, need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I noticed when we came home that our AC in the house wasn't coming on when I moved the thermostat down. I went out and looked at the unit and it has ice on some of the pipes. It's been really hot & humid here and it's been working hard day & night. Is there a specific reason why it would ice up like that and how can I fix it?

Ours iced up this week low on freon. Dirty filters will restrict the air flow causing it too. The coils could also be dirty.

Ditto. Turn it off and clean the coils real good. Turn it back on and if it does it again then its low on freon.

I'm no expert for sure on home AC units. Where are the coils? Do I need to just spray the unit with a hose & water or how do I need to clean the coils?

The coils are the thing with te fins that look like a radiator. You can also get some no acid coil cleaner. Mix it in a hand held sprayer. Sprayer it on the coils then wash it out with a water hose. It's the cats meow on really nasty tractor radiators also.

Yep classic low on freon. The unit has a low pressure switch that shuts it down when the freon level gets too low. When you get it defrosted have somebody come out and put some gauges on it too see how low it is. The can pull a vacuum and find the leak and repair it if it has one.

HOSS":ecnech5x said:
Yep classic low on freon. The unit has a low pressure switch that shuts it down when the freon level gets too low. When you get it defrosted have somebody come out and put some gauges on it too see how low it is. The can pull a vacuum and find the leak and repair it if it has one.

What hoss said!

But you said it wasn't coming on at all? Sounds like more than just frozen up. When my A frame went bad, I got the freeze ups but the unit ran just fine.

I put JB Weld on a leak once and ran a unit for nearly 3 more years before replacing it.

Mine did that cleaned the coils on the compressor unit and the "A" coils and changed the starting capacitor had it recharged and worked great no freon leaks.

The "coils" on the outside of the house are called condenser coils because they change the vapor Freon back to a liquid. The "coils" on the inside of the house are called evaporator coils because they change the liquid Freon back to a gas. I'd probably put my money on low Freon but as someone above said there is something else wrong.

Hope it don't cost you an arm and a leg.

Sorry, my 95 yr. old grandmother passed away Wednesday morning after being ill for about 6 weeks.

The AC was 2 lbs. low on freon and we had it charged. The AC guy (i know him) said just charge it and he would come back later to see if it's leaking instead of running a leak check right then and charging extra. IT was hot the night it didn't work but not as bad as I thought. AC has made wimps out of us...

Latest posts