I need some honesty

Help Support CattleToday:

This is Snoop dogs uncle brother to his Dad. Access to Uncle's place is a good chance that the Uncle inhearted it and you can not deny to an heir access to his place. As I said before this is a family affair.
Hurley, he bought the property behind me, from his sisters kids. Even after this, I'm not denying him access, yet. I'm just trying to understand it, I certainly wish I hadn't lost my temper, but i can't wrap my mind around doing someone that way.

Swallow your pride and ask him if you can turn the cows in after the shredding. Might offer a little financial incentive. Apologize for your short fuse.

Swallow your pride and ask him if you can turn the cows in after the shredding. Might offer a little financial incentive. Apologize for your short fuse.
Ya, @snoopdog . Bake him a pie, go over there and apologize for you high level of character, cut him a check for shredded pasture, pick his bull back up and take it back to you place until he needs it and make things right.

... and next time dont be so rude to the man.:ROFLMAO:

Ok, I don't want to keep rehashing this, but this is the result. The cow that I posted about having twins awhile back, has always calved within 11 months, she's 6. My bull just bred her the other day, almost a month after my uncles bull left. So, she missed getting bred a month ago, because of the bulls fighting. Anyone that thinks these things don't have repercussions to your bottom line is fooling yourself.

If I were in your shoes, I would not be going and trying to talk to him. You established boundary and it's up to you to uphold it. Talking to him right away would come off as apologetic and invite more of the same behaviour. Rewarding people for a bad behaviour always a bad idea.

Obviously he is your family and eventually you have to warm up and re-establish good relations. But do it in a time and gradually. This way he will remember and know that bad behaviour with you has consequences and you not gonna take it.

Ok, I don't want to keep rehashing this, but this is the result. The cow that I posted about having twins awhile back, has always calved within 11 months, she's 6. My bull just bred her the other day, almost a month after my uncles bull left. So, she missed getting bred a month ago, because of the bulls fighting. Anyone that thinks these things don't have repercussions to your bottom line is fooling yourself.
Absolutely, there's been a lot of bulls ruined due to fighting, as well as open cows. We have a situation next to us that has a survival of fittest beef cattle herd comprised of mainly Jerseys. Every year twice on average we end up with Jersey bulls in with our cattle even have a jersey cross heifer calf this year from it. Had it been a bull calf that would have been a major monetary loss. We try to keep our fences maintained and when something gets out we try to get them back as soon as possible. We expect the same in return within reason.

Absolutely, there's been a lot of bulls ruined due to fighting, as well as open cows. We have a situation next to us that has a survival of fittest beef cattle herd comprised of mainly Jerseys. Every year twice on average we end up with Jersey bulls in with our cattle even have a jersey cross heifer calf this year from it. Had it been a bull calf that would have been a major monetary loss. We try to keep our fences maintained and when something gets out we try to get them back as soon as possible. We expect the same in return within reason.
The farm that I rent now had a herd like that. In 2005 all the neighbors came to us and asked if we could please help do something with this neighbor 's cows. Everyone was tired of them in there corn fields.
A wind storm 3yrs prior had taken down a barn and no cattle had been sold since. To my knowledge a vet chute had never been on the place. I asked my neighbor what his head count was, he said 65. When we finally got everything caught we had 83. Including a bull that had traveled 4miles and gotten in to this cow herd, with no way to get him out the owners had just written him off as a loss. There were cows that had been in the corn so much they were foundered. We shipped 17 2yr old bulls, a dozen or so yearling, and four mature herd bulls. They were like the wild cattle that got posted about a while ago. Never been crowded, never been sorted, would run you over as a group, scared out of their mind crazy.
Kind of fun to tell the story, but I will be quite content if I don't have to ever do that again. :cool:

Lots of big talk and bullshyt.
If Uncle was a deadbeat ok. But Snoop already had a working relationship with the man. You don't cuss out your father's brother over a simple disagreement. Course it seems a little due respect is becoming scarce. I've noticed where the millianials and snowflakes stand.
You should be thankful for what you where have and what was left for you and make some kind of effort to get along with your father's brother. You already said things where fine before.
You where out fighting a water problem and it went all over you.. tells me what I need to know. ( I share fence with two uncle s)

As far as your cow not breeding back with two + bulls for 60 days......you'd be just as well blaming Donald Trump
Cause I Know you gotta blame someone.

The farm that I rent now had a herd like that. In 2005 all the neighbors came to us and asked if we could please help do something with this neighbor 's cows. Everyone was tired of them in there corn fields.
A wind storm 3yrs prior had taken down a barn and no cattle had been sold since. To my knowledge a vet chute had never been on the place. I asked my neighbor what his head count was, he said 65. When we finally got everything caught we had 83. Including a bull that had traveled 4miles and gotten in to this cow herd, with no way to get him out the owners had just written him off as a loss. There were cows that had been in the corn so much they were foundered. We shipped 17 2yr old bulls, a dozen or so yearling, and four mature herd bulls. They were like the wild cattle that got posted about a while ago. Never been crowded, never been sorted, would run you over as a group, scared out of their mind crazy.
Kind of fun to tell the story, but I will be quite content if I don't have to ever do that again. :cool:
That's pretty much the situation that we have currently. There is a never ending supply of Jersey bulls that are just as you described. This last ordeal was 2 of them one of which had a white eye making it more erratic and aggressive. We had to get a man on horse back to rope it and get it into a trailer down at the bottom of a hill. We then then had to pull that rig back up the hill with a tractor as it started raining and was too slick to come up. My arm was jammed trying to close the cut gate in the trailer thankfully it wasn't broken but I felt it for a month or more. I don't mind helping people at all, and believe that should be the way it is, but it does get frustrating when it's the same scenario replaying over and over with seemingly no effort to lessen the problem on the their part.

If Uncle was a deadbeat ok. But Snoop already had a working relationship with the man. You don't cuss out your father's brother over a simple disagreement. Course it seems a little due respect is becoming scarce. I've noticed where the millianials and snowflakes stand.
You should be thankful for what you where have and what was left for you and make some kind of effort to get along with your father's brother. You already said things where fine before.
You where out fighting a water problem and it went all over you.. tells me what I need to know. ( I share fence with two uncle s)

As far as your cow not breeding back with two + bulls for 60 days......you'd be just as well blaming Donald Trump
Fence I agree as a whole respect is about as scarce as hens teeth these days. I also know that lots of times partnerships or working together don't always work out too good, especially when families are involved. I don't know anything about this man or his uncles story, but the generations in my family starting long before my time were into some pretty heated lifelong feuds. When it came down to the younger generations the ones of us on one side of it saw how bad and just silly some of it was that we have made it a point to try and get along as best we could and maintained a decent relationship with the other side of the feud. Neighbors and even family fussin and cussing with each other, unfortunately was pretty common n these parts. I grew up hearing it so I think that has probably instilled in me a desire to try to get along with others. I'm a firm believer in good fences make for good neighbors.

Cause I Know you gotta blame someone
Fence I agree as a whole respect is about as scarce as hens teeth these days. I also know that lots of times partnerships or working together don't always work out too good, especially when families are involved. I don't know anything about this man or his uncles story, but the generations in my family starting long before my time were into some pretty heated lifelong feuds. When it came down to the younger generations the ones of us on one side of it saw how bad and just silly some of it was that we have made it a point to try and get along as best we could and maintained a decent relationship with the other side of the feud. Neighbors and even family fussin and cussing with each other, unfortunately was pretty common n these parts. I grew up hearing it so I think that has probably instilled in me a desire to try to get along with others. I'm a firm believer in good fences make for good neighbors.
Took me a little age to understand it's best to address issues when I'm not tired, frustrated and having a problems. Sometimes it's needed to get a little rough, but not flying off the handle. Uncle most likely didn't think nothing of it, a simple mention of it over a beer probably have done some good.

Off topic but fwiw. Repeat problems with neighbor bulls should have one looking hard at his own bulls. As well as the fence.

Off topic but fwiw. Repeat problems with neighbor bulls should have one looking hard at his own bulls. As well as the fence.
Yes, most times it's two bulls across a fence from each other equally at fault for fighting and tearing up fence and getting together. When we have a bull causing trouble we move him if possible or usually just replace them. Cattle with very little to eat on one side of a fence is a whole nother story that don't take a bull on both sides to be problematic.

I will tell you something, NOTHING was left for me, I pay my mother fair market value to lease the place. I'm not a millenial or a snowflake, but it sure sounds like you are. I could give a good shize about your opinion of me, clear? And learn some grammar.

I will tell you something, NOTHING was left for me, I pay my mother fair market value to lease the place. I'm not a millenial or a snowflake, but it sure sounds like you are. I could give a good shize about your opinion of me, clear? And learn some grammar.
Again you show your true colors.
Just like you did with your uncle.
LoL I didn't call you a snowflake.
But maybe I should .
You ask for honesty, .... next time ask for someone to tell you things to make you feel better about your pitiful a_-&.

As far as grammar, I'll speak how I please and you won't do a dam thing about it.

I read this thread a couple days ago. Thoughts have been mulling around in my head and I have

decided to add a few remarks for whatever they're worth.

The labels and name calling in this discussion are not constructive. It only adds to the tension

and stress. We are all human. We have all done things that we would do differently if we could

have a do-over, but there are no do-overs. No take-backs. No magic wand to make it all go away.

We live each day with the consequences. I call it part of life and growing up.

Ky hills, I like this statement because I totally agree: "I also know that lots of times

partnerships or working together don't always work out too good, especially when families are

involved." And I would like to push the idea further. I know that a sole proprietor can cross

all their T's and micro-manage everything, and things still don't work out the way you want.

That's life. That's ranching. That's farming. You get up in the morning thinking you are going

to do something and you spend all day doing something else.

So, snoopdog, are you trying to make yourself crazy? Concentrate on you, your Mom, your cattle, and your land. Isn't that enough to worry about? Leave out relatives and other people's cattle and other people's land. And try not to "keep score" with your uncle. You just worry about you. So back to your current situation....

"Well, he [Uncle] owns a property, on the back side of me that he cuts hay on ... He shoots me a price, and its a little high, but I tell him I gotta test it, because its a lot of johnsongrass and drought stressed."

Wrong answer, snoopdog! You should have said, "Thank you for offering, but I am not interested." And what do you do? You waste money testing it, when everything you need to know is staring at you. The forage is drought-stressed, so you all ready know it will be high in nitrates. Johnsongrass can be considered a weed. Your cattle are going to eat this so you can seed down an invasive and noxious weed all over your land?! That's like paying your uncle to plant weeds all over your farm. Grazing is a different story. Unless your cattle eat on your uncle's property, and then come back to your land to poop.

Last edited:
snoopdog, I am giving your uncle "the benefit of the doubt" regarding the brushhog. Since I do NOT want to know exact details I am going to make some assumptions. Uncle knew you were interested in grazing the property. Uncle knew you would run some tests including for prussic acid poisoning. Several days go by without further discussion of grazing the property, and Uncle assumes you are no longer interested. Better communication between you and your uncle would prevent a situation like this. If you are negotiating with your uncle, tell him you will get back to him by a specific day; then make sure you follow through.

"I prebooked his fertilizer this spring and saved him money, Im hauling water to his gdm bull that has ate my grass, drank my water, my cubes, mineral, and the hay I bought off him last winter."

I hear a quid pro quo. The big "you owe me." Sorry, snoopdog, but Uncle does not owe you for booking his fertilizer. However, it was very nice of you to do that for him. And it is the type of thing families should do when looking out for each other, but they don't have to do it. Your uncle is a grown man and fully capable of booking his own fertilizer. Regarding the bull, did someone put a gun to your head and make you feed Uncle's bull over 68 days? Nope. I would sort a rogue bull in a pen and keep him there. Make sure he has water, but food is at your discretion. Then notify the owner of the situation. The owner can pick him up or let him starve. ...I sort my cattle by myself without help. It takes a little longer and some extra gates, but it can be done.

Hurley, he bought the property behind me, from his sisters kids. Even after this, I'm not denying him access, yet. I'm just trying to understand it, I certainly wish I hadn't lost my temper, but i can't wrap my mind around doing someone that way.

I caught the words "legal easement," but I do not have a clear understanding of the situation. I am assuming your uncle accesses his own land via your land. Are you bent out of shape over this?

The arrangement sounds reasonable. If it's really muddy, I would think it's reasonable to expect your uncle to contribute a little gravel to the road.

Latest posts