ABS catalog

Help Support CattleToday:

Oops. Guess I didn't look hard enough. I just went into the "Featured Sires" and "Newly Released" sections. It is monday morning you know. Cut me a little slack. :lol: :lol:

No offense to you horned guys, but I'm trying to stay polled. I got a laugh out of one of my buddies the other night. He told me "When you breed the horns off of a hereford, the butt falls off too" I just laughed and thought to myself that he obviously has not looked at some of the current generation of polled herefords out there. I will agree that some out there are lacking some muscle in the rear, but it doesn't have to be that way if you use the right sire.

El_Putzo":2qo4pt7k said:
No offense to you horned guys, but I'm trying to stay polled.

At worst you get scurs when you breed to a horned bull. I like having the larger genetic base of the horned cattle to choose from.

I am not opposed to scurs on my cows, but I think I would like to reserve my option to sell registered polled hereford bulls at a later date. To do this I must keep my cows polled. I know some people don't have a problem with horns, but it's not like that in my area. If I had to guess, in my surrounding area of a 25 mile radius, probably less than 10% of the cattle are horned, or even scurred.

My point is this, if I want to sell to the locals later, I would be narrowing my client base by using a horned bull.

Like I said, not knocking the horns, just wanting to keep my options open.

For as long as I've been involved in Polled Herefords, a calf born polled is eligible for polled registration, regardless of parents. This was true even before the merger.

Please explain. What do you mean "born polled"? I have heard that some get scurs within a couple of weeks. Is this what you are talking about?

jkwilson":1dkmihl2 said:
For as long as I've been involved in Polled Herefords, a calf born polled is eligible for polled registration, regardless of parents. This was true even before the merger.

A scurred calf is techinically a polled calf. But to register a scurred calf as polled you need a hereford field rep to come out and look at that animal and say that it is indeed scurrs. After that you can remove the scurrs. If the scurrs are removed before a "qualified" person signs off on them the animal has to be registered horned.
For example: Boyd's Blue Blood. registered horned but looks polled. They removed the scurrs before anyone signed off on the fact that they were scurrs. So he has to be registered horned. Which in my opinion benifited the bull in the show ring. But, you know all about opinions.

I guess born is redundant there. What I meant, is that if a calf is born to registered Hereford parents, and it is polled, it can be registered as a Polled Hereford, regardless of the parents' horned status. This has been my understanding as long as I've been involved with PH cattle.

jkwilson":2dgnu564 said:
I guess born is redundant there. What I meant, is that if a calf is born to registered Hereford parents, and it is polled, it can be registered as a Polled Hereford, regardless of the parents' horned status. This has been my understanding as long as I've been involved with PH cattle.

I think what he was talking about is the fact that now there will be a possibility of horned offspring if bred to a horned animal. I know that when I use a Polled Hereford bull I sure expect all of the offspring to be polled, no matter what genes may be floating around on the cows side.

dun

El_Putzo":1v2w65qy said:
No offense to you horned guys, but I'm trying to stay polled. I got a laugh out of one of my buddies the other night. He told me "When you breed the horns off of a hereford, the butt falls off too" I just laughed and thought to myself that he obviously has not looked at some of the current generation of polled herefords out there. I will agree that some out there are lacking some muscle in the rear, but it doesn't have to be that way if you use the right sire.

Not trying to convert you. To each his own.. :)

dun":1k3w059h said:
jkwilson":1k3w059h said:

I think what he was talking about is the fact that now there will be a possibility of horned offspring if bred to a horned animal. I know that when I use a Polled Hereford bull I sure expect all of the offspring to be polled, no matter what genes may be floating around on the cows side.

dun

Dun

I think that a reputable breeder should at least telling you an animal has horned bloodlines in their background.

frenchie":3hkl462a said:
Dun

I think that a reputable breeder should at least telling you an animal has horned bloodlines in their background.

Frenchie,

MOST will.

certherfbeef":2ahrtk8i said:
frenchie":2ahrtk8i said:
Dun

Frenchie,

MOST will.

Certherbeef... I was not trying to imply that most don,t....

Latest posts