? About steers.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
All the talk on another thread has me thinking.
When I was a child my parents ran feeder cattle around 100 at a time. Sometimes they loaded them out on road tractors. I've had cows and calves and bought smaller numbers of steers or heifers.
If I were to buy steers again, how many 700 lbs would make a pot load?
I've also read a little about LRP, does anybody use that?
Also wonder how it would be to send a load from KY to OKC? Would they look too rough by the time they got there and defeat the purpose?

Last edited:
When I was a child my parents ran feeder cattle around 100 at a time. Sometimes they loaded them out on road tractors. I've had cows and calves and bought smaller numbers of steers or heifers.
Also wonder how it would be to send a load from KY to OKC? Would they look too rough by the time they got there and defeat the purpose?
At 700 lb exactly the standard potbelly will hold 71 head.
The buyers in your area send calves west several days a week already. Maybe not to OKC but straight to feedlots.
Even if they have been long weaned they would need to be there several days ahead of time to look good again. And don't forget you have to sell them through a commission company in OKC.

At 700 lb exactly the standard potbelly will hold 71 head.
The buyers in your area send calves west several days a week already. Maybe not to OKC but straight to feedlots.
Even if they have been long weaned they would need to be there several days ahead of time to look good again. And don't forget you have to sell them through a commission company in OKC.
How would selling direct to a feedlot or to a buyer out side of the stockyards be? My parents used to sell to buyers, the same family that runs the most of the stockyards here now.

How would selling direct to a feedlot or to a buyer out side of the stockyards be? My parents used to sell to buyers, the same family that runs the most of the stockyards here now.
Even when selling to them the LRP is a great idea.
It's a little hard to sell to a feedlot without the connections before then. Conley or S&B can and will buy load lots in your area. Also Bluegrass has loadlot sales and the cattle don't have to be hauled in to the stockyard. They come and video the calves and charge a commission to sell them.

They answered me pretty good on the Corr thread. An 18 wheeler can gross 80k lbs. Most rigs weigh 30-35k. So, should be about 70 @ 700lbs.
Also wonder how it would be to send a load from KY to OKC? Would they look too rough by the time they got there and defeat the purpose

700 lbs is an odd weight feedlots want them some where around 850lbs+ and stocker buyers want 450 to 550-650lb.

700 lbs is an odd weight feedlots want them some where around 850lbs+ and stocker buyers want 450 to 550-650lb.
That was the weight that my parents sold at in the 70's and early 80's, they bought in at around 400#. Even a few years back when I wintered some purchased steers and heifers the stockyards folks were saying sell before 800, because at that time the price per pound dropped.
I'm not sold on any particular weight to sell, could go with 5 weights and try to hit 800

Last edited:
Checked on lrp in october when i put load together. It was going to be 27$ a piece. I thought was little spendy did not do it.

I don't know the exact locations at either end. So I typed in Clark County Kentucky to OK city. it gave me a little under 900 miles. Not a terrible distance. Lots of cattle get shipped a lot further. I would contact the commission companies and see what they charge for commission. Also what they charge to feed. Ship on a Friday so the steers have the weekend to stand and recover from the trip. Put together as uniform group as possible. Don't ship any that don't match up.

@Ky hills About what time of the year would you want these steers? And what time of the year would you want to sell them? How long are you figuring it would take to get 400# calves to 700lbs? And what would you feed them on?

@Ky hills About what time of the year would you want these steers? And what time of the year would you want to sell them? How long are you figuring it would take to get 400# calves to 700lbs? And what would you feed them on?
Probably if I do that, I would try to get them bought in during February, and sell in August or early September. Pasture, and supplement, right now I'm feeding 1/3 cracked corn 1/3 soy hulls and 1/3 corn gluten pellets.

Latest posts