Aborted Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
Got a question. One of our cows has a piece of I don't know what hanging from her vaginal area. Can't get close enough to her to really check it out. I would put her in the chute to more closely examine it but the chute and pen area is down for a complete overhaul right now. The cows are'nt expected to calve until the middle of May, +or - a few days, so I thought I had enough time to rebuild the pen area. Hah.

Anyway, if you can picture this in your mind; From the vaginal area, it looks like a piece of string about 2 in long and then an elongated bulb, if you will, about 2 iin, and then another piece of string about another 2 in. It does look bloody Got that? I did a search here on aborted cows and got 4 hits, read them all but it doesn't seem to match my problem, I THINK. My question is, could this be a late term abortion or should I go down another road? I don't see any vultures hanging around, (natures cleanup crew) and it's been two days since I've noticed it. Can't get hold of the vet as he always out of the office at this time. My next best is to ask the pro's on this board. They feed on Jiggs grass and there is plenty of it. I don't feed any other supplement except fly control mineral tub. Could the coyotes be licking this and passing along the problems I read about in the aborted cow search? I don't know if the can even pass this along by saliva or not, the coyotes I mean. I know I would lick this stuff if I was a 'yote' because it has mollases in it. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dick Austin

If it is the muscus plug coming out if sometimes takes 2-3 weeks till they calve , which would take you to the middle of May , you better get that chute back together.

I'm calm, I'm calm, I'm calm. Yea, right. I guess I'm just an excited father to be. Wait a minute, that didn't come out right. No more coffee for me this morning. So that's what a plug looks like eh? And that's what stringin is. Couldn't picture that in my minds eye from all the posts I've read. I will call those old coot friends of mine this morning. I'm 55 and it's great to have old coot friends to pass they're information onto me. It's like a Merck and cattle raising manual with those guys and women. I'll also be working overtime now to get that pen and chute back in order. Get out the night lights!!!!!!

Thanks for the PM Caustic

Dick Austin

icandoit":93trva9m said:
I'm calm, I'm calm, I'm calm. Yea, right. I guess I'm just an excited father to be. Wait a minute, that didn't come out right. No more coffee for me this morning. So that's what a plug looks like eh? And that's what stringin is. Couldn't picture that in my minds eye from all the posts I've read. I will call those old coot friends of mine this morning. I'm 55 and it's great to have old coot friends to pass they're information onto me. It's like a Merck and cattle raising manual with those guys and women.

Thanks for the PM Caustic

Dick Austin

The mucus plug is thick and sticky. The getting ready to calf stuff is thinner and doesn;t tend to hang in thick tendrils. It's also normally clear.

dun

icandoit":1fuerfsc said:
From the vaginal area, it looks like a piece of string about 2 in long and then an elongated bulb, if you will, about 2 iin, and then another piece of string about another 2 in. It does look bloody

Dick, it does sound like she aborted to me. they usually look like you described when i see one that has aborted. bloody with a little bulb that looks kind of like a water bag that never filled up or either completely drained...
i posted a pic of a cow with a long bloody string of mucus back a few months ago and i was wondering if she had aborted back then or was going to. she did. i think that post it titled bloody mucus or something like that.

icandoit":3olt8fvg said:
Got a question. One of our cows has a piece of I don't know what hanging from her vaginal area. Can't get close enough to her to really check it out. I would put her in the chute to more closely examine it but the chute and pen area is down for a complete overhaul right now. The cows are'nt expected to calve until the middle of May, +or - a few days, so I thought I had enough time to rebuild the pen area. Hah.

Anyway, if you can picture this in your mind; From the vaginal area, it looks like a piece of string about 2 in long and then an elongated bulb, if you will, about 2 iin, and then another piece of string about another 2 in. It does look bloody Got that? I did a search here on aborted cows and got 4 hits, read them all but it doesn't seem to match my problem, I THINK. My question is, could this be a late term abortion or should I go down another road? I don't see any vultures hanging around, (natures cleanup crew) and it's been two days since I've noticed it. Can't get hold of the vet as he always out of the office at this time. My next best is to ask the pro's on this board. They feed on Jiggs grass and there is plenty of it. I don't feed any other supplement except fly control mineral tub. Could the coyotes be licking this and passing along the problems I read about in the aborted cow search? I don't know if the can even pass this along by saliva or not, the coyotes I mean. I know I would lick this stuff if I was a 'yote' because it has mollases in it. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dick Austin

Dick,

Do you know how many months this cow has been pregnant? If so how many ?

if it looks like a membrane it could be abort or twisted utreus, i had one do that last fall. i thought she had calved but she was not having contraction because the uterus twisted and she quit. mucus is snotty looking

Preston39 wrote

Dick,

Do you know how many months this cow has been pregnant? If so how many ?

Preston, she is due around the middle of May and she does look like she is still pregnant. Seems to have no problems at this time. I think since it's only two weeks before she calves and I still don't see any buzzards around, I'll take Caustics advice and stay calm. Go ahead and make some more suggestions because I like to read about any scenario that might happen or is happening. You and the others have been through this kind of thing many more times than a lot of us and it's good to get ALL opinions on something like this.

Thanks To Everyone That Replied

Dick

i agree with beefy, sounds like she aborted, have you looked for a calf? sounds like she calved. donna

let us know

We have a guy running his cows on our field who seems to know about as little as I do about cows. We have had two calvings this spring and are expecting a third imminently. What is described sounds to me like the afterbirth that hung out of one of the cows for about 4 days after she gave birth. I noted that the last pregnant cow's calf "dropped" mid week last week. Yesterday she was showing a mucous mass about 6" long which I assume is the plug. It does not appear to have any blood vessels like the afterbirth of the previous cow.

Latest posts