abandoned calf help

Help Support CattleToday:

clayTX

Reaction score
I Have an angus twin who was abandoned for 1-2 days before i found him. he is very sluggish. Probably had not eatin since birth. I also raise dairy bulls so I have everything needed to raise him. As soon as I found him yesterday he ate a whole bottle of milk replcer and again this morning. I also work on a dairy. we had a fresh cow today so I got some colostrum, but now he will not eat at all. he has been sick with a cold nose and very boney since i found him. but tonight he fills full. he took his last bottle about 7 this morning. what should I do??? I am afraid to tube feed him for fear of over feeding. he is very small, 15 lbs at the most, but by his teeth, he doesnt look premature, more than maybe a few days.[/img]

clayTX":1s7xxywj said:
I Have an angus twin who was abandoned for 1-2 days before i found him. he is very sluggish. Probably had not eatin since birth. I also raise dairy bulls so I have everything needed to raise him. As soon as I found him yesterday he ate a whole bottle of milk replcer and again this morning. I also work on a dairy. we had a fresh cow today so I got some colostrum, but now he will not eat at all. he has been sick with a cold nose and very boney since i found him. but tonight he fills full. he took his last bottle about 7 this morning. what should I do??? I am afraid to tube feed him for fear of over feeding. he is very small, 15 lbs at the most, but by his teeth, he doesnt look premature, more than maybe a few days.[/img]

Just wondering if you think that he got any colostrum at birth? Also, were you giving him powdered milk replacer? Sometimes that will give them a stomachache if it is mixed too strongly, and it also fills them up more than cows milk. You can water it down a bit until he is feeling better and then slowly work back up to regular formulation. Is his mouth warm inside?

clayTX":2umtsuxo said:

15 pounds?

Size of a real small dog.

If this is true, better to get rid of it now. Bullet time.

Bez!

I doubt he got any at birth, and I couldnt get him any until today. His mouth is a little warm. He seens to have just lost intrest in eating today. and he has slept all day. I was pretty optiistic that i Might save it yesterday but today is a different story

Bez!":11djcr76 said:
15 pounds?

Size of a real small dog.

If this is true, better to get rid of it now. Bullet time.

Bez!

I also find that hard to believe.

clayTX":35ct1vd8 said:
I Have an angus twin who was abandoned for 1-2 days before i found him. he is very sluggish. Probably had not eatin since birth. I also raise dairy bulls so I have everything needed to raise him. As soon as I found him yesterday he ate a whole bottle of milk replcer and again this morning.

How often are you feeding this calf? He needs to be fed every 12 hours. Considering that he went without milk for a couple of days, I would cut it down to 1 pint every 3 or 4 hours for a day or so until his system is used to eating - otherwise you are probably looking at a good case of scours which will not do the calf a bit of good. Make sure your milk replacer is at least 20% fat and protein and is made from milk products - not soy.

I also work on a dairy. we had a fresh cow today so I got some colostrum, but now he will not eat at all.

It's too late for colostrum - calves can not utilize the antibodies past the first 24 hours following birth, and with every passing hour in that time frame the ability to absorb the antibodies are decreased. Are you using a calf nipple or a sheep nipple? If using a calf nipple, try a sheep nipple - it's smaller and smaller calves can nurse it easier.

clayTX":3ckg23vv said:
I doubt he got any at birth, and I couldnt get him any until today. His mouth is a little warm. He seens to have just lost intrest in eating today. and he has slept all day. I was pretty optiistic that i Might save it yesterday but today is a different story

If he didn't get colostrum by 12-24(preferably 12) hours after birth the odds of you saving him are pretty slim :( . That is the one most important thing you can do for a baby calf once it is born!!

randiliana":29lz99x4 said:
clayTX":29lz99x4 said:

If he didn't get colostrum by 12-24(preferably 12) hours after birth the odds of you saving him are pretty slim :( . That is the one most important thing you can do for a baby calf once it is born!!

That is not true. It is true that it will be an uphill battle, but it can and has been done - many times.

msscamp":hlv9x4va said:
That is not true. It is true that it will be an uphill battle, but it can and has been done - many times.

You beat me to it.

msscamp":1mxlspu1 said:
an upstart female? :oops: :lol:

I don't think I would call you an upstart female.
Hmmm ......

no I don't think so.

They can survive without colostrum.

Frankencow had a heifer one year that I'd seen sucking one teat.

Calf started to go downhill, so at risk to life and limb, Honey and I battled the miserable beast, got her into the maternity pen, and discovered that the teat the calf had been sucking was totally blind.

It had been about -15C and two days since birth, but the heifer calf made out fine once she got onto the other teats.

Colostrum is an important source of antibodies for calves, but it's not impossible for them to survive without it.

Good luck with your calf. Hope it pulls through.

Take care.

Wewild":a75qxm4x said:
msscamp":a75qxm4x said:
an upstart female? :oops: :lol:

I don't think I would call you an upstart female.
Hmmm ......

no I don't think so.

A golden opportunity shot to you know what! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you! :)

If he didn't get colostrum by 12-24(preferably 12) hours after birth the odds of you saving him are pretty slim :( . That is the one most important thing you can do for a baby calf once it is born!![/quote]

That is not true. It is true that it will be an uphill battle, but it can and has been done - many times.[/quote]

That is why is said SLIM. Definitely it is possible, but it is a lot more work and luck!!

Try switching him from milk replacer to Carnation evaporated milk. It is easier for their stomachs to digest. Expensive but it won't be long until he's off of it either by getting better or being dead. Msscamp is right - feed less more often - I'd do at least 4 feedings a day.

It can be done--- but even then-- ODDS are greatly increased that something else will get him before he gets on someones plate.

More than likely he'll heave to when he gets here :(

You said he was a twin? I've never seen a 15 lb calf, was that a typo? I think there may have been a reason why it was left abondoned, mother animals can tell when something isn't right with their babies. Can you submit a picture, I would like to see the calf?

Best of luck

gmn

he could be closer to twenty pounds, Maybe. he is about two thirds the size of the little jersey I got this Morning. he seeMs better and he stood up on his own today. Ive been feeding day and night, every few hours when I get a chance. Overall he seeMs generally healthy now except for his weakness and lack of appetite.but now I think he could pull through. I hope he does, because I have seen about a billion newborns in My life and he is the lightest I've ever seen, so it will be neat if he Makes it.

clayTX":1ixjhzep said:
he could be closer to twenty pounds, Maybe.

Is it possible that you're simply misjudging his weight? They are so small in relation to their mothers at birth that it's very easy to do. I'm thinking if this calf really does only weigh 20 pounds, there is something very seriously wrong.

Latest posts