A sign of Trich?

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
try to make a long story short. Had a first calf heifer lose a calf last year. We had to pull the calf, and he didn't make it. Had a bottle bummer we had been feeding for about a week then, so I put that calf on her and she took him, raised him well.

Well she was on the cull list from that day. she came up bred and I thought that with the price of calves, I would give her another shot this year.

Just found her out in the field, with a pre-term bull calf on the ground. I don't know the different stages of calf growth prior to birth, but calf looks pretty well developed, has hair on legs, but body looks all pink, could be sack on that, but again I am not really sure. Teeth are developed etc.

I don't really know about weight, but not much.

So now 3 year old seems to not have cleaned out. I can't get her up, and she won't drink. I gave her 50CC of Biomyacin 200. Maybe she makes it maybe not.

My question is that one guy told me tonight that it might be trich? Bull tested fine last spring, and never left the place or co-mingled with any other cows.

So 0 for 1 so far this year.

so maybe somewhere in the in 180-200 day range? perhaps slightly older than that. We quit calving in Jan-Feb a couple years ago because we got tired of them dropping out in a couple feet of snow and getting stuck like a lawn dart. doesn't take long for them to freeze solid.

So now we shoot for mid March to finish by Memorial Day. That way they come on grass and we don't have to feed so heavy after they are born.

So this fits in that timeframe, and I know things happen. I am just worried that this could be a bad start to a horrific couple months. She should have been someone else's problem, but too late now.

chukar":2p9pylrk said:
so maybe somewhere in the in 180-200 day range? perhaps slightly older than that. We quit calving in Jan-Feb a couple years ago because we got tired of them dropping out in a couple feet of snow and getting stuck like a lawn dart. doesn't take long for them to freeze solid.

So now we shoot for mid March to finish by Memorial Day. That way they come on grass and we don't have to feed so heavy after they are born.

So this fits in that timeframe, and I know things happen. I am just worried that this could be a bad start to a horrific couple months. She should have been someone else's problem, but too late now.

What state are you in?????????????

chukar":kzzm38tu said:

From what I know and have read they usually abort from Trich early in the pregnancy. If your bull was tested, and there is no chance that your neighbors bull didn't visit. The next question becomes did you bring in any cows that could have been infected. If the answer is no to all these then it probably isn't Trich.

Well I never did catch the neighbors bull in our field and think I would if they started tearing out fences. I hope it isn't trich and just some abnormality with that specific dam. But waiting until we get crankin with calving is going to be an experience.

Would be my luck though. Seem to have awesome calving percentage when prices aren't so hot. Might as well have a poor percentage when prices are good and a guy could get ahead a bit...