BSE & Trich

Help Support CattleToday:

We always have our vet come out and semen test our yearling bull every year. Generally 5-10 bulls it usually comes out to around $100 each. We don't trich test so I don't know what that adds to the cost.

That sounds pretty high to me. Last year I had three bulls semen and trich for about $350. That also included back pour and and deworming.

I thought it might cost $200 - $250. The vets here are into making money.. But I don't think I can justify
that expense.

I loaned the bull I was thinking about having checked to someone and certain after the fact information worries me abit.
I know he was clean when he left my cows.

Yikes! Last year we hauled 3 bulls, the clinic is all of 20 minutes away. No trich test but the BSE, measuring circumference, full exam was $139.50. I brought their shots and administered while they were in the chute.

I thought it might cost $200 - $250. The vets here are into making money.. But I don't think I can justify
that expense.

I loaned the bull I was thinking about having checked to someone and certain after the fact information worries me abit.
I know he was clean when he left my cows.
I would have the person I loaned the bull to pay the expenses, before he returns him. That is a crazy amount. We pay a $50 trip fee, $45/bull for semen BSE, and $20 for TRIC plus $25 lab fee to state.

It gets a little complicated. Bottom line is its my fault, I take responsibility for the decision to loan the bull.
And I grew up knowing a person never loans your horse or your dog to anyone.
The person is someone I like and respect a great deal, used their veterinary services for 30+ years, I mean what
could go wrong ? I hope I am just worrying about nothing.

Last edited:
Question concerning Trich: If a group of cows was exposed to Trich, unknowingly, and the following spring
none of the cows calved.
Then a year, maybe two years go by before another bull(my bull) is turned in with that same group of cows, can those cows pass the Trich
to my bull?

We generally consider that cows & heifers can 'clear' the infection within 3-6 months, but most infected bulls are infected 'for life' due to the Tritrichomonas organism colonizing epithelial crypts in the prepuce... though it appears that some young bulls may be able to 'clear' on their own.
So... 1-2 years out, with no natural service in the herd... there's a good chance that all cows will be 'clean'. No guarantees, though.

Don't blame the vet, it's the computer doing the charging. That's what I found late in my career when I worked in computerised practices, it is unemotional and picks up any excuse to put in a charge for, after all the computer has to pay for itself somehow with all the expensive software upgrades.

Ken

Latest posts