A Question of Security.

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4":203o0hiz said:
hang baskets of silk flowers from the porch . Put out big dogfood and water bowls by the porch. Hang windchimes and whirlagigs.
Anything to "show" it's lived in.

How about making a sign that says "Beware of Hounds" and put in the driveway? Not a storebought sign. One made from an old piece of wood, hand painted so it looks more sinister, and hung on an old post.

Had a Rottie once that would let you in the yard but not back out again... with flesh in tact, anyway. He didn't do that with little kids, though. He loved little kids. Hated grown ups.

Caustic Burno":t4ky28qk said:
VanC":t4ky28qk said:
Caustic Burno":t4ky28qk said:
The best security system is a Model 97 with Double Ought Buck, the others just make you feel good.

True, but GP was talking about a place that's unoccupied part of the time. A shotgun won't do much good if there's no one home to use it.

That was my point nothing else will do any good either, just makes you feel good when you leave.

Point taken. My method is to not own anything worth stealing. A really good security system would probably cost more than the contents of my house are worth.

thats actually my method too. still, being crazy and trigger happy helps.

We have a gate, but never lock it. I think it would be a red flag also. Especially if the house / barn are back off the road. We've never locked the house, and the keys are in everything we own! But what has probably kept us safe more than anything is that we have really screwy hours. We never leave at the same time, and no telling when one or both of us will come home during the day. We have so many vehicles in the driveway it would be hard for someone to determine if anyone was around or not.

I have a feeling with the way the economy is getting, there will be more and more people losing stuff. Hubby has been hearing a lot of stores about four wheelers and mules (the gas powered type) being stolen off ranches.

Ya'' hear about that couple killed? They had taken in a bunch or kids with developmental delays,had a big house with lots of cameras around. Anyhow,cops had real good photos to go by and so far they've gotten 2 of them and another one for trying to paint the van. Y'all be careful,you never know what somebody will think they need to do..

Latest posts