A question of ethics

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
How do people feel about misrepresenting cattle they sell via the salebarn, how about buying misrepresented anaimls the same way?

Thanks

I haven't done that, but at the sale barns here it's well known to be "buyer beware".. it's also why I haven't bought any cows there.

Cows sold as bred are preg checked at the barn, so you can't misrepresent that, and for the rest, What you see is what you get.

Well if your sale barns are anything like our saleyards, it is open slather, buyer beware, you accept the risk with what you buy. With large lines of cattle from any one vendor there is a bit of assurance as that vendor would have a reputation that buyers would be aware of and agents would know their operation well. Small lots, it is a bit of a gamble for buyers and they have to use their eyes. Cows tagged as PTIC (preg tested in calf) are tested by an accredited vet who puts his registered tags on the tail so you chase him up if they don't calve.
Ken

I've never had any desire to be a flash in the pan so I take ethics very seriously and guarantee my cattle both private treaty or sale barn. I want my buyers to know they can make money on the cattle and not be a victim. On crazy cattle I refuse to dope them and pass them on to the next unwitting buyer and prefer to put them down myself but I have sold one crazy fat girl at the barn but before selling her I spray painted an X on her forehead and spray painted "kill pen" on her side less someone buy her to breed.

The animals I buy at the barn are my risk. When I sell a Cow at the barn she is a cull. I don't expect the one I'm buying to have a tag around her neck telling all of her secrets therefore I don't supply info other than a cull. Cow men are pretty quick to pick up on a problem and if another cow man buys w problem he knew the risk. It's the novice that thinks sale barn cows are perfect and should have a warranty.

I guess I should have been more specific. I'm thinking of calves/stockers/feeders.

dun":1z8fx9xp said:
How do people feel about misrepresenting cattle they sell via the salebarn, how about buying misrepresented anaimls the same way?

Thanks

Misrepresenting anything you have for sale anywhere is unethical, isn't it?

Rafter S":102zmj7j said:
dun":102zmj7j said:

Thanks

I agree.

Rafter S":1tawwkul said:
dun":1tawwkul said:

Thanks

Exactly.

I do not buy cows at the sale barn for that reason. When I sell cows, they are culls and I always say slaughter only. My mother told me to start with to never sell a cow that was sick or had something bad wrong.
The only way I would buy is to buy at a herd dispersal or at a breeder sale. Most people won't sell a good cow for no reason at all.
I raise my heifers or go to a farm and buy some. When I took over the cows, all had been born on the farm. But the man that had been taking care of them for twenty years failed to keep six nice heifers that we told him to keep. I was left with some old cows that I had to cull, but I told that when they went to the sale.

It is a question of honesty in my opinion.a misrepresentation is a half TRUTH but a fallout lie. If you question the integrity of a group.of calves then there is probably a reason you are questioning them and should let someone else take the chance.

I always tell them whats going on with the animal I'm sending --- we cull hard then send the bottom to the stockyard --- which is usually better cattle than most commercial people have anyway --- There are a lot of dishonest people out their in the world --my advice is to buy off the ranch if possible

A half truth is a whole lie.

If a bull or cow has an issue then we tell them when we unload and get our receipt. They put it in the computer that the animal does not need to go home with someone.
Last Thursday a man was bidding on a cow. The auctioneer told the man he would sell him the cow but she was still legged and had issues, asked him if he wanted him to accept the bid. The man shook his head and the order buyers went back to bidding.
I have seen the same thing with those who looked to be carrying a stitch.
Every week there will be a handful of novice buyers wanting a cow or calf. They are the ones the sale tries to look out for.

when buying cattle at the sale barn ive always bought at my own risk.ive bought cattle on my own for years.

We buy the worst of what comes through the barn as far as how they have been cared for. We make our money on other people's mistakes.
We get everything from great cows that were someone's pet to mean beeches that will come looking for you to grind you into the ground.
And yeah some die, we expect that too.

RegCowman":odmkpsmu said:
I always tell them whats going on with the animal I'm sending --- we cull hard then send the bottom to the stockyard --- which is usually better cattle than most commercial people have anyway --- There are a lot of dishonest people out their in the world --my advice is to buy off the ranch if possible

Have you met Cowgirl8. You two would make the perfect pair. :lol2: :lol: :lol2: :lol:

Latest posts