a permit...to farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
http://digital.vpr.net/post/permit-fees ... ?#stream/0

When Vermont's large farms file their permits on Feb. 15 they'll be required to pay a fee for the first time.

Vermont's new water quality law includes added requirements for the state's large and medium farm operation permits.

"Act 64 laid out some changes to the LFO and MFO permits, most notably was the addition of a permit fee," said Ryan Patch of the Agency of Agriculture.

Vermont's 28 large farms, those with over 700 cows, will each pay $2,500 with their permits. At the end of April, the state's 139 medium farms will pay $1,500 apiece.

The money will go to an agriculture water quality special fund to help pay for the administration of programs and requirements created by the law.

Ca beat them to it. They don't call it a permit system but it is mandatory that you either join a water quality coalition for a fee or report to the governing water quality agencies directly and you will lose your water if you don't do one or the other. It's on a per acre basis and the fines for not reporting make non-compliance not a viable option.

True Grit Farms":248tvncr said:
It's nothing but a tax to the farmers, and revenue for the state so they can hire people to make our life rough.
It did sound as though it was just a self fulfilling thing for the burrow rats. The funds to be used to finance the administration of the permit program...
The money will go to an agriculture water quality special fund to help pay for the administration of programs and requirements created by the law

They will have to meet ever changing intrusive requirements year to year for permit renewal. Then inspectors or observers will be required from time to time. Refuse them, and permit will be pulled. Then a limit on number of permits issued forcing some out. The word "SUSTAINABLE" will be used in the implementation I'm sure. Same with commercial fishing.

zirlottkim":1nia5ode said:
They will have to meet ever changing intrusive requirements year to year for permit renewal. Then inspectors or observers will be required from time to time. Refuse them, and permit will be pulled. Then a limit on number of permits issued forcing some out. The word "SUSTAINABLE" will be used in the implementation I'm sure. Same with commercial fishing.
The difference between this and commercial fishing, is ownership of the property. I feel like it's a privilege to make a living off the water, and bring the bounty back for all to enjoy. The water is public property, my land is private property. And as such I plan on fighting for what's mine, tooth and nail till the end. As commercial fishermen we've been regulated and harassed like no other group in the country. It's hard to fight for something that you don't own.

Latest posts