A Party to Remember

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater":ahcjgq6l said:
I think I'd go a day in advance and make sure she knew I cared but I can't support that.

CP, don't mean to be argumentative but it would not be your call. Whether you support it or not it's just simply not up to you to determine if a human being, living with a terminal illness, choses to end his/her own life. What a wonderful way to go out.

Absolutely I'd be there. In her case, life was not worth living. It's not my decision to make because I don't have to live like that, so that's a moot point.

lavacarancher":2xglk7fg said:
cow pollinater":2xglk7fg said:
I think I'd go a day in advance and make sure she knew I cared but I can't support that.

CP, don't mean to be argumentative but it would not be your call. Whether you support it or not it's just simply not up to you to determine if a human being, living with a terminal illness, choses to end his/her own life. What a wonderful way to go out.

No one should be put in that position. That's a horse **** way to treat your family if you actually care for them.

Does that make them an accessory? Are they liable to anyone for not reporting this?

A friends mother and lady i truly admired passed from this disease within the year. She didn't take shortcuts in life. Down to the end she showed her family what it's like to be a real person of grit, courage and strength. We're real short on those kind of people these days.

lavacarancher":2wml69fb said:
cow pollinater":2wml69fb said:

I think he meant he wouldn't go because he's not comfortable with the deal, I didn't think he was saying someone couldn't do as they please.

Some folks just like drama. Get it/make it one way or another. She had to have her last hurrah. She could be my best friend, I'd still decline the invitation.

Stand around and eat, drink and be merry. Don't cry in front of me. I'm checking out at 6:30 PM, just so you know!! Only a sick minded person would celebrate someone's planned death.

lavacarancher":fpeyoerr said:
cow pollinater":fpeyoerr said:

You can care for someone and still not support their decisions. Anyone with children can say they have seen them do things that you may not agree with and cannot support but you will still love and care for them. No I could not go to the party.

I respect her decision, but unless she was in really horrible pain (which she probably is to be able legally to do it) I wouldn;t want to attend a party. I would most likely be sad and a real downer for those attending. Given the pain deal, I would be willing to attend her death and hold her hand while she dies.

I'm in favor of assisted suicide, but I wouldn't make a party out of it. My Gpaw lived 6 years longer than he wanted to. And there was nothing any of us could do about it. He made my mother promise him that she'd put him out of his misery. She regretted not doing it till the day she died. At least that's what she told my wife one day before she pulled her oxygen tube out and died.

It appears she enjoyed the party. So there is still some life to be enjoyed. Like co stated I would let her know that I didn't support it . that she should fight a bit more.
But I would also respect her final decision. And yes I would attend the party

True Grit Farms":3d117wxf said:
I'm in favor of assisted suicide, but I wouldn't make a party out of it. My Gpaw lived 6 years longer than he wanted to. And there was nothing any of us could do about it. He made my mother promise him that she'd put him out of his misery. She regretted not doing it till the day she died. At least that's what she told my wife one day before she pulled her oxygen tube out and died.

I think it's an important distinction, that's not suicide TG. Natural course of events led to her passing. Her body failed under normal environmental conditions. Just like if i refused to be hooked up to a ventilator or refused some procedure. Natural course of events.

A bullet, drug cocktel, or someone smothering my face is an action that is not a natural course of events. It's taking positive action to kill someone. Not a failure of an organ system under natural conditions.

Commercialfarmer":oxu66mdn said:
True Grit Farms":oxu66mdn said:

I think it's an important distinction, that's not suicide TG. Natural course of events led to her passing. Her body failed under normal environmental conditions. Just like if i refused to be hooked up to a ventilator or refused some procedure. Natural course of events.

A bullet, drug cocktel, or someone smothering my face is an action that is not a natural course of events. It's taking positive action to kill someone. Not a failure of an organ system under natural conditions.

CF,

You're right. That's an important distinction. As far as attending the party, I hope I never have to make decision like that. I may have attended at some point, but I'm pretty sure I would have left well before the end. I couldn't support suicide.

Probably wouldn't attend the living wake thing. Be there with them when a ventilator is turned off and the tube removed is difficult enough, btdt, but to see someone still coherent, talking, even laughing in a party like atmosphere, knowing they would off themselves when it's done-no. If they want to die, fine--die. I won't be a part of it in that kind of deal, or ever ask anyone else to be if it were me.

I could do it and probably not think about it too much. They call funerals a celebration of life, so why not celebrate with the person while they are living? I'm not there, but I don't think I would want live in that condition very long, so why expect something different from someone else?

I wouldn't do it. No need for me to accomodate her knowing how the party is going to end. Doubt I would even go to the funeral.

I figure if I haven't celebrated their life or our life in the years, months and weeks previous to this 'party', a few hours in't going to do anything between them and me anyway. If I'm dyin, I might want a very few very close loved ones by me if it's their thing, but that's it. I sure won't be leaving this world all butt hurt because someone chose not to be there to see me breath my last.

Latest posts