A new breed for me!

Help Support CattleToday:

Pickles Dillman

Reaction score
I'm heading to Mo. this week to meet up with a Kelpie breeder, (orig. from Australia,now living in Tx.) to pick up the Kelpie pup that I bought from him.
We have always had Austrailian cattle dogs(red heelers) before but our last one died last winter and it's been weird around here with out a little dog help. Anyway, I started looking into the Kelpie breed and liked what I saw in, and about them. I just couldn't find much if any negitive reviews on the breed. The breeder has a good reputation as I recived a couple of e-mails telling me that I couldn't go wrong buying a dog from him. His name is Darren Wall. His web-site name is Moo Hollow Stockdogs.
I kinda feel like a little boy gettin a new puppy! I don't now why I'm so excited. I usually cant stand puppy's! I'm to old to be excited over a puppy, aren't I ? :lol: Maybe it's the new breed thing that has got me so interested.
Is there anyone else on this board that has worked with Kelpies? I read the other post that talked about getting a puppy but I was wondering if anyone had any Kelpies of working age.
Wish me luck with the new pup, If you will!
Thanks, Pic

Best wishes with the new pup!
I've never even heard of Kelpies until I saw the same post to which you referred. I've had several heelers - some I would not have taken all the money in the world for and others I would have given my last dime to get rid of!
I've discovered I have a soft spot for hound dogs, so I've about lost hope of having a dog that's good for anything but barking so loud the windows rattle. :dunce: I sure know when a strange vehicle comes around though!

Temperament varies a lot, from hyper to quiet I mean. The people I'm getting my pup from only run kelpies. They have a collective team of about 7 working dogs. Couple of oldies and the dam of the pups aren't working though. They seem to work quite well. They're a pretty full on breed though. I'm probably mad getting one ;-) But the adults are very friendly. As far as working goes it's hit and miss. It seems that from working breeders they are for the most part better. But like any working dog, sometimes they just aren't interested.

Photos when you get him/her. I'm swinging by the farm on Sunday to pick mine up. Exciting.

kyla pretty much said it all. but the other thing I have found with kelpies is they can work really well for years and years and years and then suddenly thats it, they are useless. they lose their brains and dont have a clue how to work. or, they just up and leave. go awol. dunno why.

I love kelpies. they are first on my list for working dogs, then border collies, then heelers.

HEY THERE ALL! Thanks for the replies!

Oh and thanks Lazy for the welcome back!

I'll try to post pictures but I have never been able to get it to work on this forum.
Talk to ya later, Pic

tncattle467":1ymobp3q said:
I think I saw some videos of kelpies workin once and it jumped on the cows back and bit it and jumped off. It was hillarious.

My ex FIL had a Blue Heeler that did the same thing. I remember telling him he could have his daughter back along with everything she came with if he would only let me have that dog. Her name was Flopsie.

Latest posts