a little odd vintage item

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I was talking to someone and they asked me if I had ever heard of a machine they used in the 40's-70's, just about every shoe store had them, it actually x-rayed your foot to determine the best fit for a shoe. It had 3 slots to put 3 different feet in, and the foot actually sat on the x-ray tube. It was called a shoe fitting Flouroscope-I thought maybe he was pulling my leg, but i looked it up and it actually was used for this purpose-did any of you ever use one?

Watched a documentary awhile back on the development of the X-ray machines. The foot fitting was one of the side benefits to it. Before they knew what compound effects of x rays were. Pretty neat show really

My Godfather had one in his shoe store. I dam near wore it out. It's a wonder my feet aren't burned black from the radiation!

3waycross":1zl6qw3k said:
My Godfather had one in his shoe store. I dam near wore it out. It's a wonder my feet aren't burned black from the radiation!
What's more amazing is hiw much it effected your head!

Isomade":2z90fjvp said:
3waycross":2z90fjvp said:
:lol: beat me to it

3way was probably one of those kids that chewed his nails....his toenails, so I would imagine he had some radiation in the head area too.

GMN":13llabh0 said:
I was talking to someone and they asked me if I had ever heard of a machine they used in the 40's-70's, just about every shoe store had them, it actually x-rayed your foot to determine the best fit for a shoe. It had 3 slots to put 3 different feet in, and the foot actually sat on the x-ray tube. It was called a shoe fitting Flouroscope-I thought maybe he was pulling my leg, but i looked it up and it actually was used for this purpose-did any of you ever use one?

I never used one--I guess we were to far out in the boondocks to get all the latest gadgets.
The slots for 3 different feet makes me think somebody knew something. Maybe that was just the Missouri version?

Isomade":2r2a1w3p said:
3waycross":2r2a1w3p said:

He did kind of lob that one right over the plate......

I was kind of wondering about the 3 different feet that you had to put in it. GMN, how long had you lived where you do before you found out you didn't fit in with others in that area because you only have 2 feet?

Latest posts