A few pics from tha past week

Help Support CattleToday:

smnherf

Reaction score
Since the weather turned on me this past week, I guess its time to put a halt to my outside projects and share some of the photos I took this week.

DSCN5194.JPG

Last Sunday, some of the bred heifers grazing cornstalks. Its been a great winter here so far. Just fed a little alfalfa every now and then for protein. Just enough snow the past couple weeks so they can graze and eat snow if they want.

A heifer that was near the fence.

A couple days later when delivering salt and mineral and breaking ice. More hungry for salt and mineral than water though.

DSCN5206.JPG

Some more coming to see me.

DSCN52181.JPG

A favorite heifer who seems kind of proud of herself.

DSCN5220.JPG

This morning, since weather is changing, I decided to bring the bunch of older cows home from cornstalks and since I needed this pen for them, I moved the twos and the commercial 3 yr olds closer to home too.

DSCN5225.JPG

heifers gathering up and ready to follow me.

DSCN5231.JPG

Heifers are home. Weather is getting worse. Now I got to go get the cows.

DSCN5236.JPG

Found the cows in the cornfield. 3 miles from home. No windbreak except a dugout bank. I am afraid that the days of cows feeding themselves is gonna be over so they get to come closer home. I can always take them back if the weather man is wrong.

DSCN5241.JPG

I had to get 30' from them before they came to the tractor. They looked at me like what is he doing here.

DSCN5243.JPG

Following the trail well.

DSCN5249.JPG

Was the photographer tipsy or what?

DSCN5262.JPG

Heading down gravel road with the wind

DSCN5264.JPG

getting closer. I didn't think they were going to go into the pasture that I wanted them in and walk against the wind.

DSCN5265.JPG

Almost there,

DSCN5269.JPG

Stringing out nicely again

DSCN5273.JPG

Entering the pasture the heifers were in, but going in a different gate.

DSCN5279.JPG

Final destination. Cows finally got the carrot I had been dangling in front of them.

Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed the pictures. I enjoy sharing my hobby with others as I do my work.

Kingfisher, I use a Nikon Coolpix S4. It is several years old. When I bought it, it had one of the best optical zoom lens on it that I could get. I am sure that there are some other good ones out there by now as the digital camera options have exploded since I bought this one.

Good photos. Cattle are in great condition. Were they on stalks only?
Nice when you have a tail wind, those didn't look like they were hungry enough to follow into the wind.
The weather looked to be closing in quickly, it is always a good feeling to have them moved to a location with access to shelter.

Thanks for taking the time to post. :)

Thanks for sharing, I love it when folks post a series of pics like that. Your series is right up there with the best ever. Was the snow that deep or where the just walking in the tire tracks because it was a little easier footing? Geez when I move my cattle I just hope to get the gate open and out of the way before I get ran over.

Nice looking cattle,
Alan

Dylan Biggs":2klgg16y said:
Good photos. Cattle are in great condition. Were they on stalks only?
Nice when you have a tail wind, those didn't look like they were hungry enough to follow into the wind.
The weather looked to be closing in quickly, it is always a good feeling to have them moved to a location with access to shelter.

Thanks for taking the time to post. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am pleased with how the cows have dne. The cows have been on cornstalks only. The heifers have had to come into a 40 acre grazed out catch pasture for water for about the past 3 weeks. Otherwise they were drinking out of the slough in the corn field.

I was pleased with the fill they had in them. It was after noon when I went to get them and I figured they would be looking for some feed, but they must have grazed all night. They must have sensed the weather changing. Good thing I moved them yesterday as today it was much much worse. -10 F 30 to 40 mph winds with about 8 to 10 inches of new snow.

Ditto what others said, beautiful cattle, nice photos.

Seeing them lined up like that, I can't avoid a philosophical waxing. Many say that cattle are stupid, yet are they any dumber than humans? Seems if someone dangles a benefit in front of us, we'll do just about anything they want us to. And if others are going for it, most of us follow along, not even knowing why.

Get in line, folks. :)

Excellent! My guys here would be amazed to see the condition of those cattle and the conditions in which they're living. They wouldn't believe it possible.

Latest posts