A few of our calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
Right now, our Murray Grey calves are just hitting 6 months of age. With all of the rain we had this past spring, they are growing like mad. The cows are still holding great condition; these calves will be weaned sometime in late October or early November.
This heifer calf was 81 lbs at birth and out of a 4 year old cow. She was born at the very end of February. She is sired by our current herd bull, BB Uncle Tony.
504_Heifer_6_months_.jpg

This heifer calf is a 75% sister to the one above. She is out of a 5 year old cow and was born on March 3, 2015. She too is sired by BB Uncle Tony.
510_Heifer_6_months_.jpg

This last heifer calf is 75% Murray Grey x 25% Angus. She is 5.5 months old. She is sired by BB Uncle Tony as well.
512_Heifer_5_5_months_.jpg

Here is their sire, BB Uncle Tony at 3.5 years of age.
BB_Uncle_Tony_3_5_years_.jpg

This last calf is a bull that was born March 3, 2015. He is an AI sired calf out of a 7 year old cow. We really like how he has developed. He is still young, but we have high hopes for him. His birth weight was 81 lbs.
509_bull_6_months_.jpg

I wonder what some of them Murray Grey's bulls would do on a set of Longhorn cows or some Brahman cross cows ?
Would they takeoff some of the ear and cover up some of the Longhorn look ??
I'm just thinking I don't know much about the Murray grey cattle but they look good.

Everyone always wants to 'hide' long horn.. How about people hide em in the trailer to the kill plant then and get cattle that just work without the need to hide things. They exist.

Supa Dexta":22gq68th said:
Everyone always wants to 'hide' long horn.. How about people hide em in the trailer to the kill plant then and get cattle that just work without the need to hide things. They exist.
Its called crossbreeding you take a cow that's lacking in one trait and breed them with one that is strong in another to get something that is better. I have seen some fine looking cattle come through the sales that was Char and LH cross. What you want to do away with is the spots because 2 calves that are of same build but let one be spotted and you will get docked. Its the same as so many people running a black bull on off colored cows they are "hiding" the color of the cow to get a black calf.
LH do have some good traits about them and some bad things also so you breed to use what is good and do away with what is bad.
I was just asking how some of these cattle would cross with others and not trying to start a debate with you or anyone else about LH cattle
Just so you will know I have no LH cattle, they have gotten to high to buy where I am from because people have figured out they make good cattle to cross others with.

BRYANT":3n056ymr said:
I wonder what some of them Murray Grey's bulls would do on a set of Longhorn cows or some Brahman cross cows ?
Would they takeoff some of the ear and cover up some of the Longhorn look ??
I'm just thinking I don't know much about the Murray grey cattle but they look good.

I have seen photos of some very nice Murray Grey x Brahman cows and bulls. I believe that CMF1 had some Murray Grey x Bos Indicus at one point. I have never seen any in person, but I have always liked the idea of that cross.

As for longhorns, I have no idea what a Murray Grey bull would do. They would probably knock off the horns and add a lot of pounds of quality beef. As for color, I have no clue. Murray Grey bulls can range from silver to black, so I think that you could get any number of colors depending on the bull you used.

Backbone Ranch":14y1jt9i said:
Murray Grey bulls can range from silver to black, so I think that you could get any number of colors depending on the bull you used.
I didn't know that about the color range. They are one breed, of many, I don't know anything about but I do like the ones in your pictures.

Latest posts