A different newborn calf surprise

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
When you think that you've seen it all – a new surprise says gotcha! This one a bull calf 4 weeks early – why? All 4 feet down in a woodchuck hole & since I wasn't expecting any births this early, was not checking intensely, so time stuck there is not known. He could not stand, suck, or hold head up. Instead of tubing we used a syringe & got about a quart of packaged & previously frozen colostrum into him in 4 separate feedings this evening (tried to take it slow as he small & did not want to overwhelm him). We could hear him breathing labored so before we left him this evening gave a shot of Micotil. Earlier we also gave a combo shot of vit A/D & some pro-bios. Can't say it looks too good – here's hoping.

Any comments on the process we've followed?

As far as why he is 4 weeks early - cows/heifers due dates can be +/- 10 days to 2 weeks. Is it possible she was bred earlier than you thought? With a first calf heifer, that -10 days to 2 weeks plus a week of messing around would just about equal a 21 day cycle. I can't comment on the Micotil because I have no experience with it. Otherwise, I would say you did good! The only thing I would suggest is that you might want to consider an additional shot of b vitamins to help stimulate his appetite. I've got my fingers crossed and I am saying a prayer that he pulls through ok, despite his rough beginnings. Good job!

Because of the lung problems, I would say that this is likely a premature calf. One of the last organs to develop before birth is the lungs. That could be what the problem is. If his coat is pretty short as well that would be an indication that he is premature.

The earliest full term calf that we ever had was 17 days early (AI calf), she was healthy. Of course the fact that he was stuck in a badger hole for quite a while would definitely cause problems, even in a full term calf. I have never given micotil to that young of a calf, but it would probably not hurt and may get ahead of whatever is bothering his lungs. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement & info on preemies. He went downhill over nite & had extremely labored breathing this AM. Each breath seemed to take everything he had & he seemed to be suffering greatly. We tried getting some kick start into him hoping to give him energy & electrolytes to buy time for the micotil to do its thing, but after about 1 cup, he expired in our arms - sad to see the little fellow pass as I know he sure had the cards stacked against him & still he fought hard.

The only other preemie I've had to deal with was about this time in the drought of '02 (this current situation is getting to be about as bad around here as it was then). That time the intitial success was better, in that the micotil did save him, but for some reason he had a walking defect that the buyers did not want, so I got like nothing at the sale barn when I sold him at weaning. Lesson learned would be not to waste a minute getting the drugs in a preemie to get a head start on the inevetable lung problems.

Too bad :( , preemies are hard to get going. But every now and then one will surprise you. I don't think I would do more than penicillin or oxytetracycline. If that doesn't do it, in a newborn then I think nothing would.

randiliana":37yetzls said:
I don't think I would do more than penicillin or oxytetracycline.

how did you pick these?

just trying to see the logic in it.

Aero":39ygry0r said:
randiliana":39ygry0r said:
I don't think I would do more than penicillin or oxytetracycline.

how did you pick these?

just trying to see the logic in it.

Well, they are the two most common broad spectrum medications out there. In a newborn calf, the odds of you knowing exactly what you are up against is small, and we have had very good luck with them in the past. The other medication that we use a lot in young calves is Trivetrin.

makes sense. i didnt know if you were expecting it to be an infection or if it was just a general panacea.

thanks.

Latest posts